Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   ccw wifey (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/ccw-wifey-45347/)

steel 07-17-2011 03:41 PM

ccw wifey

Recently my wife was in downtown Lousiville, she was fallowed by a bum to her car. The man asked for change and when my wife told him she had no cash then the man produced a blade and demanded her purse. She now is in the process of obtaining a ccw permit. I am in the market for a decent, defensive, compact firearm for under $650 in 9mm or .40. Any advise on a rig for her would be greatly appreciated.

jjfuller1 07-17-2011 03:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ruger sr9c, or the smaller lc9. the sr9c's recoil wasnt bad. feels smooth in my hands. easy to pick up and aim as well as under your price range was 440 for me out the door

Firearms4ever 07-17-2011 03:48 PM

My suggestions for a 9mm handgun
Glock 19
Glock 26
Ruger SR9c
Springfield XDm 3.8 9mm

If she wants to have a back up aka a pocket firearm I suggest
Kahr PM9
Ruger LC9
Kahr P380
Ruger LCP

My suggestion for .40
Glock 23
Glock 27
Ruger SR40c
Springfield XDm 3.8 .40

Gojubrian 07-17-2011 03:50 PM

Take her to the gun store and let her hold a few and pick one out. There's list of options.
Also, get her as much training as you can.

Tackleberry1 07-17-2011 03:52 PM

Why Compact?

Why a compact?

First have a serious discussion w/your wife about "how" she intends to carry. Most ladies I know opt for a purse carry option. Not met 1 yet interested in holsters or 1 who owns pants loose enough to pocket carry.

I bring this up because "most" compact in 9mm or 40 WILL be very snappy in the recoil department, something that turns off most new shooters.

If my suspicion is correct and she opt's for purse carry there is zero reason to punish her with a compact anything.

TACK

Glasshartt 07-17-2011 03:54 PM

Correction: She is in the market for....... Let her make the decision about which gun fits her hand. What you think will work for her, may not feel right for her. If it does not feel right for her, she will not feel comfortable shooting it and may get turned off. Also, I do not know how much experience she has, if she needs lessons, looks for lessons for women, don't try to teach her yourself, it will be better in the long run, trust me.

I would say stay with a 9mm or a 38.

TimKS 07-17-2011 03:55 PM

Not a 9mm or .40

...but a lowly revolver....the Ruger LCR in .38 or 357 mag. Women often find it difficult to rack the slide on some autos, and they can jam with crap from the bottom of a purse. A revolver will always crank off a shot if the trigger is pulled. Also no safety buttons or levers to fumble with. The LCR is a small gun.....even in .357 mag. You can shoot 38sp. in the mag. to lose some kick. I highly recommend it for a woman's EDC.

Shihan 07-17-2011 03:57 PM

I would also suggest some self defense training. You aren't always going to have time to draw a weapon.
She should have the ability to defend her self with empty hands also.

You two should look into it.
Here is a place close to you.Self Defense Club Krav Maga

CHLChris 07-17-2011 04:15 PM

The bottom line is that this has to be HER decision. I listened to my wife and her desires/needs for a few months. I even took her to the range to try out many different guns. Then she chose (between the black LCR and the shiny S&W 642) the 642, because it was shiny.

She still doesn't carry, though, because she can't figure out a way to carry it that makes her comfortable.

This has to be HER driving this decision.

danf_fl 07-17-2011 05:40 PM

SHE has to decide what and when she wants to carry.

Although the 6" spike heels may look nice, they are nothing if they stay in the closet. :)