CCW/ target practice
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > CCW/ target practice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default CCW/ target practice

I know they're completely different guns almost never cross referenced. I'm in the market for a new pistol. I'd like something I can carry living in the most dangerous city in America currently. But being limited in my pistol knowledge I'm split between two different pistols.
The two I'm looking at are the glock 27, and the FN 57. Can you help me choose which gun I'd be more proud to own, carry, take to a target range? Which of the two has a more "cool factor" ? I don't shoot to often but like to take pride in having a "cooler gun" then the next guy. Ya know, the gun that people want to try out at the range, or ask you questions about. I currently own 2 pistols, a Walther P22, and a FS92. I've noticed when I bring the P22 no one says a word to me at the range but when I bring out the FS I'll get a few law enforcement guys over to talk guns (part of the hobby... talking guns, and that's part of the fun!). So the factor of bringing around complete strangers who are also at the range is intriguing to me as a gun owner. The Glock seems very run of the mill and alot of people can relate to it and tell you their glock stories, so it seems to appeal to the masses. the FN 57 is a gun I've never seen except in my local gun shop. But the High capacity mags, armor piercing potential, light weight, and uniqueness of the gun and rounds also intrigues me. And no matter what gun I'd choose, I'd like to be able to carry it on me. Which of the 2 options do you think is a better choice for all around, carry, intrigue from others at the range, proud to own?
Can you give me any details as to why I should choose one over the other?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Digitronical,

First off, when you get a chance, why don't you stop by the Introductions section and tell us a little more about yourself?

Of the two pistols you mentioned, the FN 57 will have the cool factor, hands down. But considering the round's high velocity and small caliber, I would be concerned about overpenetration if using it as a carry gun.

If you want cool factor coupled with usability as a carry gun, I'd suggest a nice 1911, perhaps with some customization.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 06-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #3

I'll be sure to stop by the intro section soon. The 1911 I was always steered away from simply due to round capacity. 20 rounds in a clip sure sounds nice to me.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:58 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 252 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I think the FN 5.7 is pretty cool. It'd make a fine carry gun...open carry that is, if you were wandering through a war zone. I don't think it's a very practical carry for meandering around your hometown. A semi-auto pistol firing 2000fps rounds in a densely populated area would worry me.

But if you lived somewhere a little more rural, I think it would be a great home defense and even varmint handgun.

As for the Glock 27- If you've shot one and are comfortable with the fit and handling, it won't let you down.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2907 Times on 1676 Posts
Likes Given: 1257

It is easier to get parts for a Chevy than a Ferrari.
I would get what I know a local smith could work on if needed. Between the two choices, Glock would get my vote.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-05-2011, 05:22 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

The FN 57 is an extremely "cool gun". However as mentioned above, overpenetration is an EXTREME problem with that round. If (God forbid) you did have to shoot at a BG and missed, shooting Granny in her living room watching TV could happen. With the muzzle velocity ranging from 1650 to 2132 fps it can be considered overkill. The up-side is the 95 or 105 grain bullets should stay in the target, if you hit it.

I have never been a Glock fan although they make an excellent firearm. In this case, I would advice the Glock.

On a $ scale, most FN 57's that I have seen bump close to and over $1K.

As always, just my opinion and yours is what counts on your decision.

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand it.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:06 PM   #7
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitronical View Post
The 1911 I was always steered away from simply due to round capacity. 20 rounds in a clip sure sounds nice to me.
Become proficient with it and you will only need one round.

I don't think the FN57 is not practical for carry purposes. Not a round I would choose.

Of the choices you listed I would say G27. Not knowing how much firearm experience you have and if target practice is one of the other things that is important, think about a G26.

9mm would be less snappy and cheaper for range time. You can get some pretty good SD rounds in 9mm if you use it for carry.

I wouldn't limit myself by cool factor. Plan on shooting armored vehicles.
Go to the range and try a number of different pistols. See what works for you.

Try a S&W M&P9c is you want a nice pistol.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you want something for carry as much as range time, consider a full size polymer frame pistol. Like the G19, M&P9 or XD9. All of these are fine pistols with good capacity and good reputation for reliability. A good holster will make any of these comfortable to carry.

While I do think the FN57 is a cool pistol, it honestly isn't practical for carry for all the reasons already mentioned. Plus ammo is a concern with the 57, it's not always easily located and that's a big drawback in my book.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Of the two you mentioned I would go with the Glock but I wouldn't cause I don't like Glock cause they don't fit me. I suggest you stick with Russ' suggestions and maybe add in a alloy frame pistol like Sig.

[]]]]]]]]]]]]\>
"----)_'_\--(
"--------\--\
"---------\_/

Old 06-05-2011, 07:48 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5747 Times on 3002 Posts
Likes Given: 380

personally the LAST thing on my list for a self defense handgun is the "cool factor", in fact that isnt even a consideration. that being said the two handguns that draw the most attention at the range in my collection are my 1944 ithaca 1911A1 and my colt series 70.

used to ccw with 9mm 15 rounders berreta 92fs and sigp226 always felt under equipped using those lightweight .35cal rounds. had a lot of em but still felt i was naked.

its really not about round count but having a pistol you shoot very very well. for me i shoot a steel 1911 very very well. even the lightweight short snouted new agent i shoot well.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...