ccw
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > ccw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default ccw

I want to buy a handgun but I am looking for a gun for carry ...does anyone know or recommend a gun with good recoil...and protection...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #2

Liked 262 Times on 166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveguns
I want to buy a handgun but I am looking for a gun for carry ...does anyone know or recommend a gun with good recoil...and protection...
I would recommend going to your local range and trying several different ones. If purchasing for carry, you really want something comfortable, reliable, and most importantly something your very confident with.

You see..... Im a hypocrite, cause I didnt do that. It took 6 handgun purchases to finally find "The One"! If you have the money, hey, do what I did (lol), your firearm collection gets bigger faster that way!

Good luck in your hunt!

Old 08-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1827 Times on 799 Posts
Likes Given: 1370

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveguns View Post
Define good recoil?????
Old 08-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #4

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Need WAY more info-----
I suggest the range thing too---------------------

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 08-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 573 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockratt View Post
Define good recoil?????
My .357 Mag snubbie has real good recoil, maybe that's what the OP meant?

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

rockratt Likes This 
Old 08-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Ive taken to collecting ccw pistols as i like a variety to choose from. I get bored carrying the same gun all the time.

I currently carry ruger lcp, colt new agent, bersa thunder, springfield xdm compact, berreta m9a1 inox compact and am considering a trade for a colt lightweight commander 1911. All those are great carry guns.

Go to a gun range with rentals and try a few see what you like to shoot best

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #7

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveguns View Post
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that you do not have a lot of experience with handguns...? Correct? (not a shot at you at all, just an observation...)

If I were you, I'd find an NRA sponsored safety course, take notes, absorb all the info you can...

Hit the rental range, see what tickles your fancy, felt recoil is subjective at best...I love the recoil on my .44 mag, but I wouldn't recommend it to a new shooter...

Concealed carry is a HUGE decision and responsibility, read anything you can get your hands on about the subject...(see the sticky "Read This Before You Decide to Carry" in the CC section)...Mas Ayoob has some great insights and info...Jeff Cooper, too many to list...

It's a process, don't expect to jump right in and get it right on the first try. I'm on my 3rd carry gun and have a drawer full of holsters I thought I would like......apparently this is normal...

If you have questions, be as specific as you can, there are tons of folks here who'd love to help you out...

Best of luck...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
People Like This 
Old 08-17-2013, 03:37 AM   #8

Liked 117 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that you do not have a lot of experience with handguns...? Correct? (not a shot at you at all, just an observation...)

If I were you, I'd find an NRA sponsored safety course, take notes, absorb all the info you can...

Hit the rental range, see what tickles your fancy, felt recoil is subjective at best...I love the recoil on my .44 mag, but I wouldn't recommend it to a new shooter...

Concealed carry is a HUGE decision and responsibility, read anything you can get your hands on about the subject...(see the sticky "Read This Before You Decide to Carry" in the CC section)...Mas Ayoob has some great insights and info...Jeff Cooper, too many to list...

It's a process, don't expect to jump right in and get it right on the first try. I'm on my 3rd carry gun and have a drawer full of holsters I thought I would like......apparently this is normal...

If you have questions, be as specific as you can, there are tons of folks here who'd love to help you out...

Best of luck...
Yep. Also, you do not have to own a gun to take a CCW course.When I took the course there were a couple of people who had not yet purchased a gun. The instructor taught them the basics and let them shoot his guns when we qualified at the range.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:52 AM   #9

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

I'll go out on a limb here, and say a 1911A1, or M9.

Both are full size, but both point well, and are reliable.

It just depends if you want 45ACP or 9mm.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the input...I've never shot a gun before but I need protection...plus I am a musician and I have to do night shows...