Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Cases blow up - Ammo or gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 05:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Cases blow up - Ammo or gun?

So my dad was shooting his Taurus 357 mag yesterday. He was shooting blazer aluminum cased .38 spl. When he fired, flames shot out of the barrel/cylinder. When he went to eject the shell it was stuck. He pried the shell out and it was cracked all the way down the case (vertical) with a hole in the bottom. For what ever reason he decided to keep shooting and it happened one more time with the same results. Could it be double charged ammunition from the factory?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-11-2009, 05:50 PM   #2

i'm not as much of an expert on ammo as some in this forum, but from my experience, it's the ammo.

i have tried that blazer ammo in my .357 mag. (it was all they had at that store and i was on my way to go shooting and didn't want to show up with no ammo at all) and although it didn't do what you experienced, i could see that happening with those cheapo casings.

i have had shell casings totally disintegrate before in my .22lr semi auto pistol. it was that winchester stuff that comes in the red plastic box. in the single magazine full that i fired, every second or third round the casing would disintegrate and cause the gun to jam pretty bad.

so, there's at least two kinds of factory ammo that i now know to avoid.

blazer .357 mag. and winchester .22lr.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:22 PM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I've shot thousands of rounds of Blazer aluminum in a variety of guns with no problems at all. I would look hard at the gun myself, especially since Taurus can and does have problems at a higher rate than other brands...

Old 10-15-2009, 11:56 PM   #4

Shot lots of Blazer aluminum in semiautos and revolvers. Never a problem in either. Sounds like one of the chambers could be out of spec.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:46 AM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I have fired lots of Blazer aluminum.

In .45acp I have had many, many split cases out of my 1911's. Nothing else splits, just Blazer Aluminum. I put it down to a brittle batch of Aluminum in those particular lots.

I have never had any harm to the guns because of it.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:19 AM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Aluminum is not as playable as brass I believe.

Maybe you got a batch that didn't get annealed very well. I would if possible test some of the ammo in another gun.