You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

The Case Against Ugly Guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2017, 10:05 AM   #131
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8171 Times on 4466 Posts
Likes Given: 13924

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
They are ugly, but I can honestly say that their warranty is second to none, customer service is great, and you will never need to shoot out a window on a sinking car with one (Even though you could, as they will fire, once, underwater with no mods).

Best part is, if you run the low capacity mag out, you can always beat your attacker to death with it, as my 6 inch GP100 weighs less.

As to ugly, Dallas sums it up pretty good.

And yes, this is coming from a guy with a ROHM .357 sitting on his desk. Works great for it's intended purpose, a deactivated paperweight (Got it from a friend when it jumped time after 2 boxes of .38 wadcutters. Cut the firing pin, and rendered it unusable.)
i have to agree with that assessment 100%.

hey, the Hi-Point ain't gonna win any beauty contests by a country mile!

but it wasn't designed for winning beauty contests. and if we step back and look at things realistically, the Glocks ain't gonna be winning any either IMO. but no one can fault them on their performance and that they do exactly as they were designed to do.

personally, i think most people who trash and bash lesser expensive firearms, have little actual experience with them, and are merely parroting second or third hand embellished information, that isn't grounded in fact. that information that you got, from your second cousin's friend of friend's co-worker, is hardly what i call credible information that i'm going to rely upon to make an informed decision about something.

but hey, if you an afford a much more nicer and more expensive gun for SD, then yes, that would be the wiser choice. but never just discount or overlook the Hi-Point based upon it's price, especially if you need a firearm for SD and are on a very limited budget. IMO, in that situation, the Hi-Point is very viable option for one to consider. not the only one, but definitely one of the options to think about when purchasing a pistol.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:54 AM   #132
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6992 Times on 3975 Posts
Likes Given: 33081

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas53 View Post
i have to agree with that assessment 100%.

hey, the Hi-Point ain't gonna win any beauty contests by a country mile!

but it wasn't designed for winning beauty contests. and if we step back and look at things realistically, the Glocks ain't gonna be winning any either IMO. but no one can fault them on their performance and that they do exactly as they were designed to do.

personally, i think most people who trash and bash lesser expensive firearms, have little actual experience with them, and are merely parroting second or third hand embellished information, that isn't grounded in fact. that information that you got, from your second cousin's friend of friend's co-worker, is hardly what i call credible information that i'm going to rely upon to make an informed decision about something.

but hey, if you an afford a much more nicer and more expensive gun for SD, then yes, that would be the wiser choice. but never just discount or overlook the Hi-Point based upon it's price, especially if you need a firearm for SD and are on a very limited budget. IMO, in that situation, the Hi-Point is very viable option for one to consider. not the only one, but definitely one of the options to think about when purchasing a pistol.
And to those who bash them, I always tell them to watch IV8888's series on the Hi Point Torture tests. Especially the last video, where, after 4 pr 5 tests, they foinally manage to kill one.

On inexpensive (i myself avoid the word "Cheap") guns, there was a thread on the Jimenez line (Bryco-Jennings after 2004) in which a person showed a pic of one that had split the frame, and detonated, pointing out the whole "junk" factor, but never bothered posting the load that had killed it, a compression load pf swept up range trash.

I have walked out of more than one LGS over gun snobbery, the last after the owner said he tells anyone looking into a handgun for less than $900 to scrimp and save on shoes, socks and underwear. Not a handgun, and then said buying the expensive one in 3 months after layaway, beats having a cheap gun now, as if the goblins call ahead, and give you 6 months to prepare for their break in.

Yes, I did refrain from telling him to reverse his recto-cranial insertion, but only just.

the first handgun I bought for myself after getting my permit in NY was an early production (4 digit S\N, no prefix) Rossi 941 4 inch blued .38 Special. Cost me a picture of Franklin for the pistol, $3 to add it to my permit, and another $30 for 4 boxes of ammo, 1 JHP, 3 wadcutters. Dad had a holster and speed loaders with his dad's Colt Official Police, which I started using.

It's not that I didn't have others to choose from, as I had both his and mom's on my permit, but I was looking for something cheap to feed, small enough to carry, and still big enough to shoot well. it fit the bill, at less than half the cost of a S&W K frame. I worked up some handloads for it, and shot it to the point that the insides matched the outside (Had a lot of carry on it, but hardly ever shot), and to this point in my life, has saved my @$$ twice.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not big on ugly guns, but if it works, shoots well, carries well, and has gone bang every time you pull the trigger, that is where it's beauty lies. Not in the look of the worn out bluing or the polimer frame.

A broken in $75 J22 in your pocket will always trump a $1,200 WC 1911 in the LGS safe on layaway.

I may live in the North, but I still uphold the Southern Values I was raised with.

lifetime member. NAHC, NRA, And SCOPE NY

If it's a nice enough day to wash the bike, it's d@mn well also a nice enough day to be riding it instead.
Dallas53 Likes This 
Old 06-04-2017, 03:02 AM   #133

Liked 8171 Times on 4466 Posts
Likes Given: 13924

i somehow doubt a bad guy is going to laugh at you for having an ugly gun, or tell you they don't want to get shot with an ugly gun!

well, maybe they will!
Old 06-04-2017, 03:29 AM   #134
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6992 Times on 3975 Posts
Likes Given: 33081

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas53 View Post
i somehow doubt a bad guy is going to laugh at you for having an ugly gun, or tell you they don't want to get shot with an ugly gun!

well, maybe they will!
I'd try it. might gain a few extra seconds to try to escape while the guy holding it is laughing in agreement.

I may live in the North, but I still uphold the Southern Values I was raised with.

lifetime member. NAHC, NRA, And SCOPE NY

If it's a nice enough day to wash the bike, it's d@mn well also a nice enough day to be riding it instead.
Dallas53 Likes This 
Old 06-07-2017, 03:25 PM   #135

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Agree to disagree
Attachment 172273
this is one place for Darth Vader mask.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:46 PM   #136

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I know what you mean about short hollow points. We used to use them to
shoot rats at the local dump. A police officer I know shot pigeons off of the
local churches and office buildings. He complained to me about the shorts
not having the power to kill the pigeons. I told him to get the short hollow
points, he got them and was amazed with the killing power.

Zeke