Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Carry/ practice gun? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/carry-practice-gun-70684/)

mrbirdguy 08-19-2012 03:42 PM

Carry/ practice gun?

I am intrested in possibly getting another gun looked at the s&w shield on line? Any outher comparably priced gun price and size?
I live in Maryland so if I could ever carry well I might make it this gun
I thought about a real compact gun but accuracy is not to good ?
How is a gun this size for carrying
Is guns of this size more accurate than tiny guns I would be interested in 9mm?
My loaded in cocked home defense sigma is a 9mm kept with 2 clips of hollow points hornady cq
What is the adverse selling price of the shield?
Is it a good gun or should I concider sompting else?

KeysKelly 08-19-2012 04:45 PM

I like my subcompact XD's myself. I have both the .40 and 9mm.

mrbirdguy 08-19-2012 04:47 PM

Nice profile picture
How much do the xd cost and how accurate are they

KeysKelly 08-19-2012 04:56 PM

Thanks for the picture compliment. I found it on Facebook.

The Subcompact XD's will run $425-$500 depending on the sights. I find them very accurate. I shoot under 3"groups up to 15 yards. They are designed as a close quarters carry gun shot at distances of 10 feet or less which is the distance 90% of gun fights happen. When I bought my forst one I rented the XD, Glock and M&P and shot them side by side one magazine out of each one rotating. I didn't care for the Glock at all. I liked the M&P a lot but the XD just felt best in my hand and I shot it better than the M&P. All 3 of them are very common rental guns and cost about the same price. I would suggest renting each like I did and shoot them yourself. A gun that is a perfect fit for one person will be a poor fit for another person.

pioneer461 08-21-2012 04:42 PM

I own an XD sub-compact in .40 cal. The Springfield line of firearms are very reliable and well known for accuracy, point-ability and excellent triggers.

Physics 101 - Smaller handguns are more difficult to shoot because of such things as a shorter sight radius, and because of lighter weight, more felt recoil. If you are a person with large hands, maintaining a proper grip may be a problem, but there are after-market accessories that can help with that. I carry my XD-sc with the 9 round magazine (+ spare mag), with a Pearce grip extender, allowing my big hands to get a proper grip.

Accuracy is something that is in most cases, entirely up to you. All quality firearms are mechanically accurate, the trick is the ability to line up the sights and control the trigger. If you put a pistol in a vice and use a remote trigger release, they will shoot where they are aimed. The best thing to enhance your accuracy is practice, practice and practice some more.

mrbirdguy 08-21-2012 05:29 PM

Never enought practice

danf_fl 08-21-2012 10:01 PM

Depending on what I am going to do.
My carry piece could be a P3AT, or it could be my Dan Wesson C-BOB in 10mm.

(I am known to try and hide a full sized 1911 in my Speedo's) :)

mrbirdguy 08-21-2012 10:03 PM

I really want a good shoot able gun but is also a good ary gun

Donn 08-21-2012 10:24 PM

My Shield 9 is light, concealable and I can put rounds in the black all day long.

marc29th 08-21-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donn
My Shield 9 is light, concealable and I can put rounds in the black all day long.

I have the M&P Shield 40 and I second that.