Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Carrry Ammo and temp change (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/carrry-ammo-temp-change-35553/)

gunsavy 12-13-2010 09:44 PM

Carrry Ammo and temp change

Just wondering how long many of you keep your carry ammo before you use it at the range to make room for new ammo. I asking because i have ammo that I have carried since the summer in few magazines and now it freezing cold. What are the major effects of temp change. I have had this ammo atleast a year. So really it's gone from cold to hot then back to cold.

billdeserthills 12-13-2010 09:49 PM

I would say it makes no difference. Wars are fought in all temperature extremes with no effect on the ammo due to temperature.
I personally had to put all my ammo into my chest freezer for 24 hours and it still works fine.

masterPsmith 12-13-2010 10:45 PM

Nothing to worry about. I carry Black Talons in my Para and about once a year I cap off a couple of them during one of my practice sessions and have never seen any changes at all. I check them for velosity through the chronograph and paper accuracy. I have a decent stock of Talons, so checking a few a year dosn't hurt my stock. I do keep a record of their performance for comparison.

Jim.........

stalkingbear 12-14-2010 12:55 AM

I typically don't even bother to rotate defense rounds until they're looking pretty cruddy (several years) so you'll be ok.

spittinfire 12-14-2010 12:58 AM

Not trying to be ugly but hasn't this topic been worn out?

billdeserthills 12-14-2010 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittinfire (Post 402605)
Not trying to be ugly but hasn't this topic been worn out?

Now Now,
It can't be officially worn out until properly crapped upon:rolleyes:

DrumJunkie 12-14-2010 02:05 AM

The only real concern about carry ammo I pay attention to is a chambered round that might have been chambered a couple times before. And is getting pushed back in the case. I'll chuck those but unless the cases are growing something the rest are fine by me.

WDB 12-14-2010 02:55 AM

Already been well expressed....if the rounds look fine they will work in most cases. I have some ammo that is several years old and still shoots fine (most it stored in dry boxes in my garage). Look for case or primer corrosion and bullet push back.

crazycharlie2 12-14-2010 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billdeserthills (Post 402464)
I would say it makes no difference. Wars are fought in all temperature extremes with no effect on the ammo due to temperature.
I personally had to put all my ammo into my chest freezer for 24 hours and it still works fine.

Just my curiousity, but why did you have to put your ammo in your chest freezer for 24 hrs?

USMC-03 12-15-2010 06:05 AM

Ammo will keep for a long time. I prefer not to shoot my carry ammo too often...that stuff is not cheap.