You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Canik TP9 SF Elite, anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2016, 07:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Canik TP9 SF Elite, anyone?

A couple of months ago I had the opportunity to test a Canik TP9 SF Elite.

I have to say that I am definitely not a striker pistols fan, so much so that I simply abhorr the Leading Brand ("sloppy-gritty-clunky" are too gentle words to describe that trigger, when one has been accustomed for decades to pro-grade triggers on DG rifles, and has only ever carried for any significant amount of time a 1911).

Being involved in some technical aspects of the business, with access to indoor range and regular interaction with Security and Government agencies, I've had the opportunity to test a bit of everything.

A year or so ago I gave a try to a H&K VP9, after reading rave reviews. Well... "Not as bad" is the maximum that I could come up with, although the frame ergonomics are excellent.

Fast forward to that Elite. I was handed a TP9 SA, then a SF, for a magazine full of "try that", and was pleasantly surprised. Good ergonomics, and very good trigger - for striker-fired guns. Something I could definitely live with. Then they gave me the Elite, which basically looked the same as the others, with a shorter grip and very slightly shorter slide.

And it was a different animal. That was a good trigger, better than any striker pistol I ever fired, and than any out-of-the box DA/SA I tried too! In addition, the gun just fitted my hand, and my group shrunk like by magic.

As I reluctantly put the gun back on the bench, I thought to myself "This thing here, I need to get one..."

I've been informed a few days ago that "the Turk is in the mail", so sometime next week I'll have the new baby at hand.

Meanwhile, does anybody here already have one of these? I'll soon be full of questions about sights, holsters, etc...
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-26-2016, 02:44 PM   #2

Liked 4493 Times on 2589 Posts
Likes Given: 1162

I don't have one of the new SF Elites, but have had the SA model with the overly misunderstood and illogically hated Decocker for about a year now. I ran the pistol hard for 3-4 months on about every brand of ammo I could find locally. I had a failure to go fully into battery early on. Since then it has been ultra reliable.

Sight regulation was off as well with regard to elevation. The SA model used CZ compatible sights. Changing the rear sight to a CZ 75 rear fixed my elevation problem.

Trigger is better out of the box than most Glock and definitely better than an M&P.
Accuracy is pretty impressive especially if you find a load that it really likes.

I bought mine on an impulse because I had won a discount card that had to be used the day I won it at a sporting goods store. The TP9Sa was on sale and in my budget with the discount card. Plus it felt nice for the price and I had heard and read a few good things about it. So, for under $300 I took a gamble and haven't been disappointed.

I put over 1,000 rounds through it in the first few months I had it. It has close to 1500 rounds through it now ( I slowed my feeding of it to feed a Sig and CZ and other 9mm pistols).

I haven't seen a need at this point for me to buy the SF (the decocker isn't really a problem). I haven't seen the SF Elites in my area, but as far as size goes they seem to have kind of missed the mark with regard to overall length, width and weight if the Glock 19 is the standard for size and weight. Triggers aside, the Glock 19 did seem to get the size and weight right for this class of duty/carry pistol.

HK, Sig, Walther, Smth and Wesson, and Canik are trying to push the Glock 19 out of market share, and now CZ is introducing a similar sized striker fired pistol with a better trigger as well.

I've been shooting Glocks for over a decade, along with 1911s and DA/SA handguns. I really find the Glock trigger to be pretty good for what it is. It is predictable and consistent. Not saying it is great, but the M&P is worse in the trigger department, where they got almost everything else right.

The Canik is a well built pistol with a very good example of striker fired trigger. The cost makes it a real bargain. They respond to customer input for improvements. This is why the SF and SF Elite have come out and have slightly different features like dovetailed sights, the Elite has ambi slide release, etc.

Bottom line is I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Canik.
People Like This 
Old 11-26-2016, 05:15 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 959 Times on 571 Posts
Likes Given: 1705

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one to buy a pistol on impulse.
People Like This 
Old 11-26-2016, 05:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one to buy a pistol on impulse.
I had a little info on it. The price break decided if for me. I figured wit a $100 discount I could sell it and get my money back. K just ended up being very pleasantly surprised.

I've been disappointed in impulse buys in the past, and figure I need a hedge if I'm going to take a risk now.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:11 AM   #5

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
I don't have one of the new SF Elites, but have had the SA model with the overly misunderstood and illogically hated Decocker for about a year now.
I agree with you on the illogical "hate" for the decocker. There is almost no way to accidentally engage it, and it is very easy to recock the gun when decocked, just a slight movement of the slide. So much so that I think that for the majority of people this would be a good carry option: round in chamber, gun perfectly safe, and quickly put in action. Wish that they had the decocker on the Elite already.

I will have to make a careful comparison between the Elite and SA-SF-V2 to see what are the differences, but it felt better in the hand, and I shot very noticeably better with it than with the full sizes. This could be due simply to better fit to my own hands, so it may not apply to everyone. The trigger is definitely better, they did improve the workings of what was already a good trigger group.

Canik is driven by quality, they are proud of what they produce and they want to offer the best out there, so they listen to feedback. They have a setup that allows them to implement changes quite easily (in fact I think that the main obstacle is the lengthy certification paperwork needed for any new version, however small the changes). I know I won't be disappointed, I checked real well before to decide to get one for myself - and there is quite a stable I can play with anytime I feel like, so I had a good comparison base!
weapon Likes This 
Old 12-03-2016, 10:37 PM   #6

Liked 98 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I bought an Elite today online and should have it next week. I had a TP9SA and it was a go to war quality pistol, so I expect the Elite to be even better. I'll post a detailed range report when I get the new Elite and do a range shake down.
SSGN_Doc Likes This 
Old 12-03-2016, 11:51 PM   #7

Looking froward to hearing more.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:29 PM   #8

Liked 98 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here's what it looks like. Size wise it's close to my Walther PPQ and amazingly the trigger is just as good. My 1'st Canik was a TP9SA and it's a true go to war pistol, the Elite though is even more to my liking. Now for some range time soon.
File Type: jpg DSC07504.jpg (33.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07515.jpg (47.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07527.jpg (38.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07529.jpg (43.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07507.jpg (29.4 KB, 26 views)
People Like This 
Old 01-04-2017, 06:30 PM   #9

Liked 75 Times on 56 Posts

I bought the TP9SF in the desert tan back in October. Wasn't planning on getting it til I saw it and the price. Did some review research on it and didn't hesitate buying it. The nice thing was I had $380 in gift cards so the damn thing didn't cost me a dime. I have put 300+ thru it already and I do like it. No issues as of yet.
weapon Likes This 
Old 01-11-2017, 07:14 PM   #10

Liked 267 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I have a TP9V2 and it is a great pistol. I have put several brands of ammo through it with no problems whatsoever. It has been more reliable right out of the box than several other pistols I have owned which were much more expensive. I pulled mine apart the first week I bought it and gave it the usual cleaning and inspection. I was very impressed by the fit and finish of the pistol inside and out. The feed ramp even had a respectable polish right out of the box.

The trigger on the V2 (DA or SA) is really good but I usually carry it with the trigger in SA so it has basically the same pull as the TP9SA or TP9SF. The V2 has the decocker and all the hoopla on the Internet about it being a possible problem on any of the TP9 models was a bunch of nonsense. You have to very deliberately push it down in a particular direction to decock the pistol. I have never accidentally decocked my V2 and I cannot imagine exactly how that could even happen. I suppose some gun writers have to have something to squawk about in order to get site hits...

edit: based on my experience with the V2, I will very likely buy an Elite in the near future.