Can I use .40 S&W in my T/C 10mm barrel?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Can I use .40 S&W in my T/C 10mm barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 06:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Can I use .40 S&W in my T/C 10mm barrel?

I have a 10mm barrel for my single shot Thompson Center Contender and was wondering if I can use .40 S&W ammo in it. I know the S&W 610 revolver in 10mm can also use .40, but clips are required to hold the rounds in place.

I couldn't find any info on the T/C website.

Thanks in advance,
Hank

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-08-2010, 06:34 AM   #2

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsure View Post
I have a 10mm barrel for my single shot Thompson Center Contender and was wondering if I can use .40 S&W ammo in it. I know the S&W 610 revolver in 10mm can also use .40, but clips are required to hold the rounds in place.

I couldn't find any info on the T/C website.

Thanks in advance,
Hank
Hank,

First, I can't answer your question with any amount of real knowledge about the T/C Contender. What I can say is that I'm sure someone here will know for sure. I just offer the congenial check with the manufacturer kinda thingy.

Second, it is very common for new members to stop by the Introductions thread and let the members here to get to know them for a bit.

Third, I am very curious as to the answer to your question as well. I know that many single shot firearms in recent years have been centered around multiple calibers in order to broaden the interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 06-08-2010, 07:56 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3444 Times on 1972 Posts
Likes Given: 1502

I could be wrong, but I think it has something to do with the way it uses the case mouth being used to hold the cartridge in place. Remove the barrel and drop a .40 in and see if it goes too far in to be hit by the firing pin.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-08-2010, 01:09 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3371 Times on 1744 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Just an educated guess here, but you would be forcing the extractor to provide the head space. Rimless handgun cases headspace off the case mouth. Because of the length differencethe .40 will not headspace properly. The extractor will hold the case (probably), but will allow too much slop. When the cartridge is fired, the firing pin will force the case forward until stopped by the extractor. The expanding gasses from the powder will force the case back against the breech face with considerable force. Even in a strong action like the Contender, this is not good.

In the 610 Smith, the headspacing is actually provided by the moon clip.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #5

Liked 92 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 25

The .40 and 10mm headspace on the case mouth. "NO", you cannot use the .40 in the 10mm contender !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim...

Old 06-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm
Just an educated guess here, but you would be forcing the extractor to provide the head space. Rimless handgun cases head space off the case mouth. Because of the length difference the .40 will not head space properly. The extractor will hold the case (probably), but will allow too much slop. When the cartridge is fired, the firing pin will force the case forward until stopped by the extractor. The expanding gases from the powder will force the case back against the breech face with considerable force. Even in a strong action like the Contender, this is not good.

In the 610 Smith, the head spacing is actually provided by the moon clip.
Excellent answer!

Yes, you - can - do it, but it is NOT a good idea.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:34 PM   #7

Default Thanks for all of the info!

Thanks for the useful info -- I guess I won't be trying the .40 in my 10mm barrel.

BTW the reason for this question was that I sold my Ruger P94 and have 750rds of .40 left. And now I'm debating whether to get a Glock in .40 or 10mm. Decisions decisions.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #8
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2474 Times on 1326 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsure View Post
Thanks for the useful info -- I guess I won't be trying the .40 in my 10mm barrel.

BTW the reason for this question was that I sold my Ruger P94 and have 750rds of .40 left. And now I'm debating whether to get a Glock in .40 or 10mm. Decisions decisions.

10mm ammo will cost you at least half again as much as .40

Unless you have a specific reason for the extra oomph of the 10, I'd stick with the .40 for a primary firearm.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 06-09-2010, 03:51 AM   #9
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It's possible but as already expressed I wouldn't do it. If you look on sites like gunbroker you can find a 40 S&W barrel for your TC for a reasonable price (less than $200). half the fun of owning a TC is all the barrels you can add for different uses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.