Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Can a felon go to the range (ohio)?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 12:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Can a felon go to the range (ohio)?

I wanted to take a friend of mine shooting at the range. I did not know he is a felon (I dont know the particulars). Can he shoot at the range?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-12-2010, 01:03 AM   #2

I don't think so. I don't think he's even allowed to possess a gun (even by holding it).

Old 08-12-2010, 01:15 AM   #3

Liked 4454 Times on 2352 Posts
Likes Given: 255

my understanding is no. friend of mine is on probation and he isnt allowed to even bow hunt. once a person has fully served their sentence including probationary periods they can go through the process of getting their rights back including voting.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:21 AM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

You need to ask a legal professional such a lawyer or the police as we are not in the habit or do we like to give out legal advice on this forum. It is not our place nor do we want the repercussions of bad legal advice. Please do not answer this post, ask the authorities. Thanks.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Last edited by doctherock; 08-12-2010 at 01:29 AM.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctherock View Post
You need to ask a legal professional suck a lawyer or the police as we are not in the habit or do we like to give out legal advice on this forum. It is not our place nor do we want the repercussions of bad legal advice. Please do not answer this post, ask the authorities. Thanks.
Amen to that!

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Old 08-12-2010, 02:16 AM   #6

Federal Law : real simple...nationwide....convicted Felon...NO GUNS..period.

You may apply to the BATF&E to have your rights restored....but don't count on it.

USAO Press Release - Convicted Felon Sentenced to 8 Years in Federal Prison for Gun Possession

Old 08-12-2010, 02:27 AM   #7

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A felon in possesion of a firearms is immediate grounds for arrest.

I've done it and it stuck. Mr.Macho woman beater is still in jail for being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctherock View Post
You need to ask a legal professional such a lawyer or the police as we are not in the habit or do we like to give out legal advice on this forum. It is not our place nor do we want the repercussions of bad legal advice. Please do not answer this post, ask the authorities. Thanks.
I wasnt really looking for legal advice. The consensus seems to be no. I am not even going to bother my uncle (who is a lawyer) as I believe each individual should know what they can or can not do...legally, and when in doubt...dont do it. Now if everyone said...yes. Then I would ask my uncle.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:59 AM   #9

Don't know about Ohio but I would not recommend it in Mo.
It may be legal but in Mo they are not to be in possession of a firearm, and if they are at a range, the assumption is going to be that they are shooting. Which means they are in possession of a firearm. Here I don't even think Felons are supposed to touch ammo, but don't quote me on that.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
my understanding is no. friend of mine is on probation and he isnt allowed to even bow hunt. once a person has fully served their sentence including probationary periods they can go through the process of getting their rights back including voting.
This is true in some states but not all. In Mo once you have lost your voting rights to a Felony charge, they are gone, there is no getting them back, same for shooting rights, once gone they are gone.
For those who care it is a great incentive to keep your nose clean.

Closed Thread