Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Can a felon go to the range (ohio)? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/can-felon-go-range-ohio-30320/)

Grog 08-12-2010 12:55 AM

Can a felon go to the range (ohio)?

I wanted to take a friend of mine shooting at the range. I did not know he is a felon (I dont know the particulars). Can he shoot at the range?

omegaflame 08-12-2010 01:03 AM

I don't think so. I don't think he's even allowed to possess a gun (even by holding it).

JonM 08-12-2010 01:15 AM

my understanding is no. friend of mine is on probation and he isnt allowed to even bow hunt. once a person has fully served their sentence including probationary periods they can go through the process of getting their rights back including voting.

doctherock 08-12-2010 01:21 AM

You need to ask a legal professional such a lawyer or the police as we are not in the habit or do we like to give out legal advice on this forum. It is not our place nor do we want the repercussions of bad legal advice. Please do not answer this post, ask the authorities. Thanks.

Gordo323 08-12-2010 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doctherock (Post 330167)
You need to ask a legal professional suck a lawyer or the police as we are not in the habit or do we like to give out legal advice on this forum. It is not our place nor do we want the repercussions of bad legal advice. Please do not answer this post, ask the authorities. Thanks.

Amen to that!

Dgunsmith 08-12-2010 02:16 AM

Federal Law : real simple...nationwide....convicted Felon...NO GUNS..period.

You may apply to the BATF&E to have your rights restored....but don't count on it.

USAO Press Release - Convicted Felon Sentenced to 8 Years in Federal Prison for Gun Possession

HotGuns 08-12-2010 02:27 AM

A felon in possesion of a firearms is immediate grounds for arrest.

I've done it and it stuck. Mr.Macho woman beater is still in jail for being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Grog 08-12-2010 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doctherock (Post 330167)
You need to ask a legal professional such a lawyer or the police as we are not in the habit or do we like to give out legal advice on this forum. It is not our place nor do we want the repercussions of bad legal advice. Please do not answer this post, ask the authorities. Thanks.

I wasnt really looking for legal advice. The consensus seems to be no. I am not even going to bother my uncle (who is a lawyer) as I believe each individual should know what they can or can not do...legally, and when in doubt...dont do it. Now if everyone said...yes. Then I would ask my uncle.

Freedom-1911 08-12-2010 02:59 AM

Don't know about Ohio but I would not recommend it in Mo.
It may be legal but in Mo they are not to be in possession of a firearm, and if they are at a range, the assumption is going to be that they are shooting. Which means they are in possession of a firearm. Here I don't even think Felons are supposed to touch ammo, but don't quote me on that.

Freedom-1911 08-12-2010 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 330162)
my understanding is no. friend of mine is on probation and he isnt allowed to even bow hunt. once a person has fully served their sentence including probationary periods they can go through the process of getting their rights back including voting.

This is true in some states but not all. In Mo once you have lost your voting rights to a Felony charge, they are gone, there is no getting them back, same for shooting rights, once gone they are gone.
For those who care it is a great incentive to keep your nose clean.