Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Camping self defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 06:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 20 Posts

Default Camping self defense

So im thinking about getting a handgun to take when I go camping. Lots of wildlife around my area. Though its very rare...I'd rather be prepared when I hike up on big Ben. What should I get....what would be effective? I doubt a .22 would do much more than piss it off.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-18-2012, 07:14 AM   #2

Liked 225 Times on 140 Posts

What wildlife are you anticipating running into? Outside of grizzly country a good .357 magnum revolver would be my choice for all of the lower 48. Grizzlies would be the only animal you would need anything bigger for IMO,at least a .44 mag or .454 for them. Ruger makes good sturdy all stainless revolvers,they're built like a train and would serve you well as a pack gun or camping gun.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Lots of ways you can go with that question. Whats your experience with handguns? The combo of 9mm hi capacity and a can of bear mace will cover a lot of ground. A 44 mag revolver, or any big bore revolver would be fine against a bear but the mace could still be more of a deterrent. Bears get batsh!t crazy when they get hurt. So if youre packin for them, make dam sure you have what it takes in skill and firepower.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For me, the ultimate gun would be a 3 1/2" 12 guage with a mag extension. But if you just want to carry a pistol then, your location means a lot. If you were in the South, (VA for example), a .45/.410 mag pistol should work, but pepper spray could be a great deterant. Out West and up north anything .44 mag or larger should work just fine. The larger bear country would cause me to also add a .12 guage supermag or 10 guage across my back

Last edited by mayscat44; 02-18-2012 at 10:42 AM.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

For me, it is not the wild life that concerns me as much, as wild life is what it is and should remain that way. When camping it is the two-legged creatures that puts me in defensive mode.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #6

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

After all of the posts I have read I think I would take along a .44 mag and shotgun loaded with 00 buckshot or slugs.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #7

Lots of available options... as posted above, it depends on what your going to be facing... I would recommend a .40 or larger for a handgun pretty much anywhere for mobile protection but you might want to bring another gun among to keep in the tent, maybe a 12 gage with some buck shot and a few slugs handy...

Old 02-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #8

Liked 41 Times on 20 Posts

Im in the North West...Oregon to be exact. And its not like im gonna go out of my way to kill a preadator....i'll try to steer clear of them first...but if its inevitable one of us kicks the bucket...id rather have dinner than be dinner. We've got bears like mad...but we also have cougars, which around here are pretty mean. Those are the two I worry about.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #9

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by rferguson61 View Post
Im in the North West...Oregon to be exact. And its not like im gonna go out of my way to kill a preadator....i'll try to steer clear of them first...but if its inevitable one of us kicks the bucket...id rather have dinner than be dinner. We've got bears like mad...but we also have cougars, which around here are pretty mean. Those are the two I worry about.
If its bears you're really concerned about take a 44mag- period

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1732 Times on 943 Posts
Likes Given: 547

In some areas, the show of a firearm can cause panic among the unenlightened (unfortunately Oregon has been Californicated) and consternation with the rangers. I believe some would be rooting for the bear. I usually carry something I can conceal like a 357 and a Kimber Pepper Blaster. The Pepper Blaster is only 2 shots but it will work in wind and rain. You do not want to use bear spray if the wind is against you or you will be spicing its dinner.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."