Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Camping self defense (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/camping-self-defense-58106/)

rferguson61 02-18-2012 07:55 AM

Camping self defense

So im thinking about getting a handgun to take when I go camping. Lots of wildlife around my area. Though its very rare...I'd rather be prepared when I hike up on big Ben. What should I get....what would be effective? I doubt a .22 would do much more than piss it off.

Jstrong 02-18-2012 08:14 AM

What wildlife are you anticipating running into? Outside of grizzly country a good .357 magnum revolver would be my choice for all of the lower 48. Grizzlies would be the only animal you would need anything bigger for IMO,at least a .44 mag or .454 for them. Ruger makes good sturdy all stainless revolvers,they're built like a train and would serve you well as a pack gun or camping gun.

Cattledog 02-18-2012 08:21 AM

Lots of ways you can go with that question. Whats your experience with handguns? The combo of 9mm hi capacity and a can of bear mace will cover a lot of ground. A 44 mag revolver, or any big bore revolver would be fine against a bear but the mace could still be more of a deterrent. Bears get batsh!t crazy when they get hurt. So if youre packin for them, make dam sure you have what it takes in skill and firepower.

mayscat44 02-18-2012 11:15 AM

For me, the ultimate gun would be a 3 1/2" 12 guage with a mag extension. But if you just want to carry a pistol then, your location means a lot. If you were in the South, (VA for example), a .45/.410 mag pistol should work, but pepper spray could be a great deterant. Out West and up north anything .44 mag or larger should work just fine. The larger bear country would cause me to also add a .12 guage supermag or 10 guage across my back:)

PanBaccha 02-18-2012 02:43 PM

For me, it is not the wild life that concerns me as much, as wild life is what it is and should remain that way. When camping it is the two-legged creatures that puts me in defensive mode.

BlueTurf 02-18-2012 02:51 PM

After all of the posts I have read I think I would take along a .44 mag and shotgun loaded with 00 buckshot or slugs.

keithyingling 02-18-2012 05:43 PM

Lots of available options... as posted above, it depends on what your going to be facing... I would recommend a .40 or larger for a handgun pretty much anywhere for mobile protection but you might want to bring another gun among to keep in the tent, maybe a 12 gage with some buck shot and a few slugs handy...

rferguson61 02-18-2012 05:47 PM

Im in the North West...Oregon to be exact. And its not like im gonna go out of my way to kill a preadator....i'll try to steer clear of them first...but if its inevitable one of us kicks the bucket...id rather have dinner than be dinner. We've got bears like mad...but we also have cougars, which around here are pretty mean. Those are the two I worry about.

HOSSFLY 02-18-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rferguson61 (Post 712938)
Im in the North West...Oregon to be exact. And its not like im gonna go out of my way to kill a preadator....i'll try to steer clear of them first...but if its inevitable one of us kicks the bucket...id rather have dinner than be dinner. We've got bears like mad...but we also have cougars, which around here are pretty mean. Those are the two I worry about.

If its bears you're really concerned about take a 44mag- period

JTJ 02-18-2012 06:24 PM

In some areas, the show of a firearm can cause panic among the unenlightened (unfortunately Oregon has been Californicated) and consternation with the rangers. I believe some would be rooting for the bear. I usually carry something I can conceal like a 357 and a Kimber Pepper Blaster. The Pepper Blaster is only 2 shots but it will work in wind and rain. You do not want to use bear spray if the wind is against you or you will be spicing its dinner.