Camping Handgun - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Camping Handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2008, 08:24 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hiking Gun

First off lets not kill anything we don't entend to eat!!! there all kinds of of bear repelent out there, if that dosen't work then bring out the artillery, can't hardly believe you would need anything more than a .357 magnum to go on any nature hike, and lets face it the chances of running into a unhappy bear have got to be more than unlikly!!! if you think your at risk of becoming a statistic or you live in an area that harbors alot of dangerous critters then make sure that .357 magnum is carrying full house loads just for added measure not the crap there selling you at walmarts visit midwayusa.com and check out there Buffalo Bore and Double Tap ammo ammo they carry ammo that would drop any Bigfoot in it's tracks!!!

If you run your just going to die tired!!!

Old 07-20-2008, 01:55 PM   #22

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

+1 - I would be more concerned about running into a meth lab than a black bear!

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-20-2008, 02:20 PM   #23

Funny! Years ago my wife and I were hiking in a state park when we stumbled across a couple of really huge guys. (I mean these suckers were big and beefy!) Apparently, they were busy tending to isolated clumps of marijuana that were loosely scattered throughout that area of the woods.

We were moving slowly and quietly, and must have caught them by surprise. They saw my wife first, exchanged silent glances with each other, and then began moving quickly towards her in an unmistakably menacing fashion. When I was a boy the most you might come across in the woods was a couple of lovers. Nowadays, though, you can run into anything from a body dumper, to buggery, to drugs. We're just not in Kansas anymore, Toto!

Last edited by G21.45; 07-20-2008 at 09:34 PM.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:19 PM   #24

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
Funny! Years ago my wife and I were hiking in a state park when we stumbled across a couple of really huge guys. (I mean these suckers were big and beefy!) Apparently, they were busy tending to isolated clumps of marijuana that were loosely scattered throughout that area of the woods.

We were moving slowly and quietly, and must have caught them by surprise. They saw my wife first, exchanged silently glances with each other, and then began moving quickly towards her in an unmistakably menacing fashion. When I was a boy the most you might come across in the woods was a couple of lovers. Nowadays, though, you can run into anything from a body dumper, to buggery, to drugs. We're just not in Kansas anymore, Toto!

I read an article a couple of years ago that said stumbling upon meth labs and pot fields on public land is becoming a real threat to the unbeknownst hiker/camper. I never used to carry while hiking, but I will start now! And by the way, you peaked my interest! How did your story end?
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-20-2008, 07:20 PM   #25

If I was still camping I would use my charter house bull dog 44spl with some
hot loads.I paid $217 for it.If I was buying a new revolver it would be 44 mag
first and a ruger alaskan 454 second just for the fun of it.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:59 PM   #26

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I live in Alaska. I carry a Ruger Bisely .44 mag with the barrel cut to 5". If I was rich I'd have a .475 Linebaugh. The rifle or shotgun idea is fine, but I was fishing on the creek with 10" wide bear tracks, when I heard the brush snapping and thrashing, looked 40 yards upstream to where I'd lain my shotgun and said "Lord, if I live through this I'll never be without my pistol again." I did, and now carry my pistol. The smaller gun you have with you is better than the big one you don't. Luck.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:39 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default big is good - usually

It would appear that where a person was camping would determine what should be carried. Camping in a state forest or nat'l forest campground would dictate that penetration should be limited- there jus' may be someone else campin'. Campin' by your lonesome in a wilderness area is another world. My favorite shortgun is a 5" S&W 629, however, this is too much in some places at some times. My last sighting of a grizzly in the Bob Marshall Wilderness made my model 27 -.357 seem mighty small. I was glad it wasn't a .22.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:53 PM   #28

Our deer camp{if you call Couse deer,deer}is about 100 yds from the southern boarder of AZ. I don't worry about animals to fend off,but my camp pistol is a FN FiveSeven with a 20 rnd mag and 2 back up mags.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:55 AM   #29

azalps, Does all the bad press and kaBoom! stories that are presently circulating about the FN Five-SeveN give you any cause for concern?

Here's an example of what I mean:

FiveSeveN Forum

(Warning: Link is NOT dial-up friendly. Very picture heavy!)