Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Camping Handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2008, 02:11 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Unless your out looking for bear, a .357 will do just fine if you are in your tent and you need to access a firearm quickly. In NY we only have black bear, and they rarely go beyond 500 lbs. I don't think a 500 lb. black bear will hang around long after getting hit with 5 or 6 .357 rounds! But then again, I may be partial...

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-17-2008, 03:21 AM   #12

I'm in PA bear country. I've never had a problem with them being aggressive one bit. I suppose there is always 'next time'. The only stories I heard of people in trouble with our local Ursa are folks that unknowingly split mother and cub.

Buffalo are a dangerous animal. My ex lives in SW SD, not to far from Custer State Park. The Bison there kill people every year by trampling them. Folks ignore the "stay in your car" signs and get out for the perfect picture. Noise, flash, smell, sight, whatever, irritates the subject of the photo and it's game on.

After seeing those beasts, I'm not sure a cannon would stop them.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Every time I walk into Gander Mountain, the used handgun display case is full of, 'mega revolvers'; some look like they've only been fired once!
LOL G21 thats so funny to read that again , I basically read the same thing 30 years or so ago in a gun rag and the only caliber the author was speaking of was the 44 magnum !!

Ineffable , yes it did get off track fast because the OP seems to be very new as to guns and gun ownership especially handguns and as one who has been shooting them for O I dunno 30+ years and a reloader over 20 I feel it would be irresponsible of me to just say to him "Hey great gun there Tiger you're all set to take on the world just start blasting away !!"

I would rather insult him perhaps by tossing the "Cold hard water of reality" in his face than have him get it at 2am in a tent 10 miles from the nearest road from a Bear that is 3 times his size .

I own a few Compound bows that I can kill the toughest of Bears with provided I can get a perfect broadside shot on them but I damn sure wouldn't consider them a decent defensive weapon against a hungry one .

No offense intended but Ineffable people often make the mistake of projecting human emotions and reactions onto animals and I think in this case you're guilty of this .

Animals live by much simpler and crueler rules of existence than we do and they will quickly in life understand this , when hungry they eat or starve to death Period ! There is no shelter for them to go to or neighbor to ask for a handout .

In the animal kingdom weakness is death and nothing else .

To Deter a hungry predator not much short of death will work .

Hunters have indeed shot big Bears with Rifles that have more power than the biggest Hand Cannon Pistols and been killed or at least mauled severely , so forget scaring them with any noise or intimidating them once an attack has begun .

Ever seen a African Lioness stalk and kill a baby elephant ?

Often during the attack adult elephants including males with huge tusks will charge the Cat yet as long as she has a hold of that baby she doesn't get deterred at all and keeps up clawing and biting until the Baby dies , why because she is hungry and while that charging adult "MAY" kill her if it completes it's charge her hunger most certainly will and she in some way understands this .

Everything in life is a gamble "even if people don't want to admit or think about it" from the gun you use for defense to simply "Do I take route A or B to go to work today ?" a wise man "as blazefire seems to be" at least tries to become as informed as he can before making a decision .

Old 07-17-2008, 12:44 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&produ ctId=49906&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y

I think this should cover it.....even against the big three, G21!

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 07-17-2008, 01:15 PM   #15

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It would be a cold day in hell when I spend 1 $1500 on a S&W revolver just for "camping", you sure as hell ain't gonna carry THAT revolver concealed.. I looked at the same stainless revolver in a 10" barrel for deer hunting a year ago - it was under $1200. That II might buy!

Old 07-17-2008, 04:49 PM   #16

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I was thinking of a 500 smith with a 4" bbl for CCW. If your are going to be armed why not arms your self to the teeth.

I think a 357 mag would be good heck anything is good in an emergency. Look not to long ago a guy beat a bear to death with a big stick. If you want something bigger get a 41 mag.

You can now get the 357 in 180gr from Buffalo Bore ammunition. In a 4" bbl Smith Mt. Gun it is clocking 1375 fps. That is looking right good to me.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO01 View Post
LOL G21 thats so funny to read that again; I basically read the same thing 30 years or so ago in a gun rag and the only caliber the author was speaking of was the 44 magnum!
Well, all I can say is, I've got extensive experience shooting (and reloading) the S&W 44 magnum. We used to go with a large group to shoot steel silhouette matches; all of us were armed with 44 magnums; and, we used to compete for hours - all the way out to 150 yards! With as much shooting as we did during those early years, I never saw anyone hit himself in the head with a 44 magnum pistol as his Ruger Blackhawk, or Smith Model 29, or Thompson Center rocked 'n rolled through recoil.

I never saw anyone genuinely hurt his wrists or fingers; the only reason I ever heard from someone putting down a 44 magnum was because his hands were sore or he was tired of shooting it. ('Sore' is a long way from; 'I just hurt my hand!' or; 'I just knocked my teeth out!') Neither did I ever hear of anyone blowing two of his fingers off with the cylinder blast from a 44 magnum. So, yes, I do believe that the concept has, now, been carried too far.

These short barreled mega-caliber handguns are, not only, impractical; they are, also, extremely dangerous to many of the people who attempt to shoot them. (I've seen a number of really close calls, and have already ducked a spinning, 'monster killer' as it flew through the air after being touched off!) This was never the situation with the 44 magnum - That you could quickly learn to handle. I do not think that the same thing can, honestly, be said about any of these new mega-calibers.

(But, everyone can do whatever they want. As long as it ain't my firing line, or my face and fingers, what do I care!)

Old 07-17-2008, 08:09 PM   #18

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I shot an Contender in 30-30 once. That's as uncomfortable as I ever want to be shooting a handgun! I wouldn't think of carrying a handgun exclusively to shoot a bear - either hunting or for self-defense- that's what they make 12 ga. slugs for. In a bear confrontation I wouldn't feel too confident having to steadily aim a handgun, any handgun. If I knew I was going to be in an area frequented by bear, especially brown bear, I would be carrying a slug gun, to hell with the weight inconvenience! That being said, the .357 or .44 is PLENTY of gun for any kind of two-legged self-defensive situation, and more than good enough for cats and black bear.

Last edited by RL357Mag; 07-17-2008 at 08:14 PM.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:04 AM   #19

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I shot a 500 smith 4" barrel it was not all that bad It was better than a 6" barreled 44mag for me at least. The comp on it really helps.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:26 PM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I shot a 500 smith 4" barrel it was not all that bad It was better than a 6" barreled 44mag for me at least. The comp on it really helps.
I shot a .44 mag in a 6" tube and didn't think it was that bad - the noise and muzzle blast was worse than the recoil. I wouldn't want to shoot it all day, but it wasn't painful. I would imagine a scoped .500 S&W out of a 10" barrel would be quite pleasant...unless you're the deer on the receiving end that is..