Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Calling people that are know a lot how the PPS and other guns like it work (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/calling-people-know-lot-how-pps-other-guns-like-work-10760/)

laxexquis 02-10-2009 03:36 AM

Calling people that are know a lot how the PPS and other guns like it work

Hello, I have been currently looking to buy a PPS.

I am confused on what type of shooter it is. In other words, I don't know if it is a QA or AS or anything else.

Can someone please explain to me how to shoot the PPS in steps from the point when you load the magazine, to when you are finished shooting and how it works.

I've heard that the firing pin is cocked by pulling back the slide.

Is it true that you cock the firing pin by pulling back slide about a half an inch.

Also, when you cock the slide all the way to put a bullet in the chamber, does that cock the firing pin?

Is this correct? if not please correct me.

Other then that to get this down,

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/q...s/Picture5.png

the sliver of metal in the middle of the trigger has to be pushed down along with the trigger to fire the gun.

The little button that is flush to the side of the gun is for if you want to disassemble the gun by pressing it and the slide will move foward.

The little tab is just the slide lock which is engaged automatically after unloading a mag or manually if you want to lock the slide for some reason.

Are there any other buttons or tabs I didn't mention.

Again, if this is incorrect, please correct me.

Sorry for all the questions, I am just so confused with the PPS.

Thanks

John

c3shooter 02-10-2009 11:30 AM

The Walther Police Pistol, Slim (PPS) is a striker fired weapon. The striker is not cocked by the cycling of the slide, but but a fairly long trigger pull with each shot. That is, for each shot, the trigger is pulled ALL the way back- bang- and then released to go forward, then all the way back- bang again. You do not pull the slide back to cock. You pull the slide back- and release it- to chamber the first round in the magazine, After that, pull the trigger. Has an interesting mechanism in that if you remove the back strap, the weapon is disabled from firing.

Yes, the little lever in the center of the trigger is a safety mechanism- if the trigger should get caught, say, on the side of a holster, but a finger is not in place on the trigger, it should not fire.

Go to Walther website, and read up on the weapon. Also article for you: Thin Is In

And FWIW, have heard of some reliability problems with the PPS.

laxexquis 02-10-2009 11:33 PM

Ok, I see that when you pull back the slide to put the bullet in the chamber it automatically cocks the firing pin.

Now, I know that when every gun's mag is emptied out the striker stays locked back and when you put a new mag back in you would unlock the slide and a bullet would be in the chamber, after all of this, what position would the firing pin be at? Do you have to cock the slide back a half an inch just to get the firing pin cocked?

Thanks
John

c3shooter 02-11-2009 04:22 AM

Start by inserting CARTRIDGES (bullet is the part that comes out of the barrel when you shoot) in the MAGAZINE, insert the magazine, and pull the slide all the way back, and release it. It is spring loaded, will snap forward, chambering a cartridge. The striker is not cocked at this point on THIS weapon. Notice that the trigger pull is quite long? The striker (firing pin is part of that) is cocked by a LONG pull of the trigger- rising and falling. This strikes the primer of the cartridge. Weapon fires, slide comes back (at high speed) ejecting the empty, then moves forward, chambers a fresh cartridge. You now need to release the trigger, and pull it again to fire. Once you chamber a cartridge by operating the slide, you do not fool with the slide until the magazine is empty.

When mag is empty, press magazine release, remove, insert a loaded mag, and press the slide release button, slide will go forward, chambering a fresh cartridge.

With most semi-auto pistols, operating the slide cocks the firing mechaism. This pistol is different from most in that the striker rests in a neutral position until it is cocked by the long pull of the trigger.

As a GENERALIZATION, these are not target weapons- the long trigger pull does not make for pinpoint accuracy. However, it may make for a somewhat safer weapon (no substitute for proper gun handling).

Again- there are some issues reported with reliability of this model- do some research. If you are seeking a defensive weapon, the first criteria is it must function first time, everytime.