Caliber Epiphany - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Caliber Epiphany

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 12:45 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1861 Times on 1043 Posts
Likes Given: 1233

I own and carry many different calibers in many different types of guns. The one thing to remember is with a 45 if it doesn't expand...it is still a 45 caliber hole. A 9mm that doesnt expand is only a 9mm. Another thing to think about is where you will be. I carry a Kahr CM9 about 80% of the time. It drops right into my front pants pocket and disappears. However, I do not carry a compact gun to church. If someone came into the church and started shooting I would not want to be trying to shoot at someone 30 yards away with a pocket gun. I always carry my full size 1911 to church. It is the same gun the I use for IDPA competition. And I guarantee that I can empty that gun just as quick as anyone with a 9mm of a similar size. It holds 8+1. If I can't stop someone with 9 rounds of 45...you are not going to stop them with 15 rounds of 9mm. Well, I actually have 17 rounds because I carry a back up mag too.

9mm has it's place. But it also has its limitations.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 11-03-2012, 01:02 AM   #42

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967
I own and carry many different calibers in many different types of guns. The one thing to remember is with a 45 if it doesn't expand...it is still a 45 caliber hole. A 9mm that doesnt expand is only a 9mm.

Completely discounts the fact that modern advancements in ammunition technology and loading techniques has mostly leveled the field across calibers in terms of expansion, and this has been proven in studied data.

If you mean to carry concealed to protect yourself from life threatening situations, do so with quality ammo that guarantees expansion.

Is your life worth cheap bullets?

Old 11-03-2012, 01:14 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatoriNoir View Post
Is your life worth cheap bullets?
Is that really what you got from my post? Seriously? Even the best hollow point can get plugged by heavy clothing. That too has been proven. I clearly stated that I often carry a 9mm. It has it's place. But there are also places that short barreled light weight guns do not belong. Long distance shooting with other people nearby...yea stuff like that.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 11-03-2012, 01:57 AM   #44

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967

Is that really what you got from my post? Seriously? Even the best hollow point can get plugged by heavy clothing. That too has been proven. I clearly stated that I often carry a 9mm. It has it's place. But there are also places that short barreled light weight guns do not belong. Long distance shooting with other people nearby...yea stuff like that.
Sorry, I realize I have a bias living in Texas. Jackets are not worn as often throughout the year around here.

In self defense situations, most happen closer than 20 yards. If I'm long distance shooting with other people nearby, it will be at a range.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:02 AM   #45

I am mainly thinking of church. There have been a lot of church shootings. Several here in Colorado. I realize that Texas does not allow concealled carry in places of worship. That is not the case in Colorado. I used to live in Temple by the way.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:58 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2003 Times on 1186 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I own and carry many different calibers in many different types of guns. The one thing to remember is with a 45 if it doesn't expand...it is still a 45 caliber hole. A 9mm that doesnt expand is only a 9mm. Another thing to think about is where you will be. I carry a Kahr CM9 about 80% of the time. It drops right into my front pants pocket and disappears. However, I do not carry a compact gun to church. If someone came into the church and started shooting I would not want to be trying to shoot at someone 30 yards away with a pocket gun. I always carry my full size 1911 to church. It is the same gun the I use for IDPA competition. And I guarantee that I can empty that gun just as quick as anyone with a 9mm of a similar size. It holds 8+1. If I can't stop someone with 9 rounds of 45...you are not going to stop them with 15 rounds of 9mm. Well, I actually have 17 rounds because I carry a back up mag too.

True, but .097 of an inch (less than a tenth of an inch )will have little to no effect on the out come in a gun fight!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 11-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Rick,
I was a cop for 26 years on CS and I carried my gun to church all the time. I was approached by some of the parishioners and they wanted to know why I felt I needed to bring a gun to church. I explained to them that I was required (then) to be armed at all times (we got a California Chief in 1985 and he changed that) and that "human nature knows no geographic boundaries". After two tours in combat I know that we can't pick the time or place when or where 'dodo occurs' not to mention the safest place for a gun is on the 'person' not 'under the seat of the car'!
And then less than a week latter a man came into a church in CS and shot his ex-wife and several other!!! End of discussion!!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!

Old 11-05-2012, 12:06 AM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5829 Times on 3296 Posts
Likes Given: 5307

Jim, your post reminds me of the storty of the sheriff that told the lady at the party that if he expected trouble he'd have brought his shotgun!

When I hear the macho crowd say they wouldn't trust anything but their beloved 1911, I always wonder how much time that big heavy 1911 spends on their hip, versus how much time in the dresser drawer.,

Winston Churchill

Old 11-05-2012, 02:06 AM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Jim, your post reminds me of the storty of the sheriff that told the lady at the party that if he expected trouble he'd have brought his shotgun!

When I hear the macho crowd say they wouldn't trust anything but their beloved 1911, I always wonder how much time that big heavy 1911 spends on their hip, versus how much time in the dresser drawer.,
I agree. If you have been reading my posts you see that I said the most important part of the decision to CC is to pick a PPD that you WILL carry! To me the minimum is an air weight 38. Most of the time it is my 6906.