Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Caliber Epiphany

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 12:42 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1969

That depends entirely on the gun. If you shoot a LC9 vs a officers size 1911, I'd argue the .45 is faster for follow up shots as it will have less felt recoil and less muzzle flip.
If discussing caliber size in ammunition as the sole variables being compared, for the sake of the argument we would be using the same gun across calibers (e.g. one S&W 1911 in. 45 and one in 9mm).

It should be obvious that guns of different manufacturers and materials add huge variables to recoil and being able to reacquire you're sight picture. Certainly a .45 out of a polymer gun takes longer for sight acquisition of your target between shots than a casted steel gun.

Aside from this silly argument, I agree completely with you. Use whatever you shoot best with and are most comfortable with.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:29 AM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

No one is arguing. Just a fun discussion on subject matter that people feel strongly about. I hope everyone is very serious and comfortable with what he or she is shooting. You should very biased on the make and model and caliber that you have chosen. You chose this to protect your family and yourself. It is fun to pick and disagree and interact.

Lastly, I'd rather Swiss cheese a bucket that put one or two holes "big holes". Also what if any caliber bullet is fired and it does not expand properly or not at all? I'd rather have a larger capacity mag in a controllable firearm. Just me.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:32 AM   #23

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
The snubby 357 are more inline with the 38spl for usable energy. It just needs that barrel length to get moving good.
I've actually seen chronograph tests of comparable 38 and 357 factory loads shot from the same 2" revolver. The 357 loads topped the 38s by 200-400FPS. Obviously the 357 gives up a lot in a short barrel but it still remains superior to the 38. Of course it's up to the individual shooter if that advantage is worth the muzzle blast, recoil and slower follow up with the magnum snubby.

Getting back to the previous discussion I am a 45 guy by choice and all things equal that is my first choice for SD. I see this as more an emotional choice than one based on logic though. I generally feel that there is simply not that much difference between the better loads in 9mm, .40 or .45 these days so while I may prefer the .45 I don't feel at all under gunned if I end up carrying a 9mm.

Last edited by mdauben; 10-31-2012 at 01:34 AM.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:30 AM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Another factor to consider is wound channel and internal damage. You cannot base your choice on caliber solely on quantity of holes and size of entrance and exit holes. As many have stated, the design of premium ammo today has basically leveled the playing field when it comes to the internal damage that a bullet causes for all calibers. I just want something that can penetrate an attacker's outer garments and then open up and retain its weight where it causes the most damage thus stopping the harm he is aiming towards my loved ones and me.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:38 AM   #25
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19999 Times on 11369 Posts
Likes Given: 50455

i endorse shooting the largest caliber you can hit with accurately, multiple times. multiple hits with a 380, trump misses with a 44 mag. if you can't hit with it, then either you need to practice more or find another caliber and gun. personally i shoot many different calibers and use many different ones for HD/SD. i practice with all on a regular basis.

JD1969 Likes This 
Old 10-31-2012, 02:39 AM   #26

Liked 141 Times on 99 Posts

I've never felt under gunned with a 9mm. You can find some interesting ballistics on the 9m with some nice HP rounds that equal some bigger calibers. And as far as the G19, great buy

forumrunner_20121030_223847.jpg  

Old 10-31-2012, 02:56 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayouBore
I'd rather Swiss cheese a bucket that put one or two holes "big holes".
Exactly.
You get quicker volume loss through multiple cavities in the bucket, as opposed to taking the same amount of time to make just 1 or 2 large holes.

Minimizing muzzle flip is extremely beneficial to shot placement under high stress, especially when your life is in danger and adrenaline can cause you to make more imprecise shots than you would've ever performed normally in practice.

When you have the ability to shoot more bullets than the big bores in the same brief period of time, you get a larger acceptable window of error with less time between your target acquisition (and the added bonus of extra ammo capacity).

FWIW, I have a .45 KRISS Vector as my go-to home defense weapon. The low recoil design of this gun makes the .45 preferable to me, and the stopping power may be needed for the pain-resistant junkies that tend to break into homes. For daily carry, I switch between any of my 9mm handguns or my 4" Chiappa Rhino chambered with 38 Specials.

Like many have said already, shoot what shoots best for you and not for someone else. It's always important to consider personal requirements & biases as everyone is different.

Last edited by SatoriNoir; 10-31-2012 at 03:00 AM.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:00 AM   #28

Id like to see that vector!

Old 10-31-2012, 03:27 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGlock View Post
Id like to see that vector!
Also a pic of my Rhino 40DS in a case with a 22 magnum NAA Mini revolver I sometimes carry when I'm wearing light or tight.
vector.jpg   20120923_142452.jpg  

Old 10-31-2012, 01:09 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatoriNoir

Also a pic of my Rhino 40DS in a case with a 22 magnum NAA Mini revolver I sometimes carry when I'm wearing light or tight.
Wow nice, I was kinda callin Bs on the vector but very nice