Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   buying used , please advise ? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/buying-used-please-advise-43601/)

Tailypoe 06-08-2011 04:14 AM

buying used , please advise ?

Hi. Im speaking as a newbie and someone who you could pretty handily rip off were it not for google.
will you school me a bit here ? I want to glean you r opinion on this. on these matters, i am simply ignorant. Is the slightly dinged price indicative of an increased risk ? Is the used gun usually lacking someof the components of the new one ?
for soemone like me moving to ecuador in a year, i don't think customer service would be a big issue.
I would imagine that pre-broken in and already troubleshot guns would be a plus.
again, i really don't know anything. It's in ur court.
:D please say yes and give me the go ahead for the gun show to save a couple thou. I'm no skinflint, but i'll sacrifice anything that's nonfunctional to economize.

Shihan 06-08-2011 04:27 AM

Not exactly sure about your question.
If you are considering buying used to save money, I don't think there is anything wrong with that, just make sure you know what you are buying and from who.

Tailypoe 06-08-2011 05:11 AM

this is all in terms of hand guns, btw.
i just want to know about the used scene. works for everythign else, in my experience.

M14sRock 06-08-2011 05:13 AM

I buy as many used guns as I can. Most people never shoot them enough to break them in, let alone wear them out.

therewolf 06-08-2011 05:42 AM

Have someone besides yourself with more experience look at the gun.

A third party won't be emotionally or financially tied to the unit

for sale, and will be able to make objective observations

better than you.

They are liable to quickly spot problems and abnormal wear

you might never see till after the purchase, when it's

too late for refunds, or skilled negotiation.

It helps to do your homework, IME I've seen

many used pistols priced higher than new

ones.

c3shooter 06-08-2011 07:00 AM

A good rule of thumb- if you do not know the firearm that well, you should know the seller VERY well. Not a thing wrong with a used gun- my grandkids are shooting the marlin 39 my Mom bought my Dad for an anniversary present.

Some folks do not like the golly gee whiz key locks that have been added to some new guns. I had a load of 1950's Mossberg 22 rifles (before that HORRIBLE boating accident :rolleyes:) Take a look at all the M1 Carbines that are out there- all made during WW 2. My daily carry gun is a 40 yr old S&W Mdl 36.

That is assuming honest use and carry, not abuse, neglect, and that it is a quality firearm to start with. If you are buying an RG-14 revolver, that is NOT a S&W Mdl 66. Prices of any make and model are based on condition, New in Box being highest. If you can live with some bluing wear, couple of briar scratches on the stock. etc, and pay 75% of the cost of a new gun- good for you.

For those demand absolute, total perfection for a firearm- your money, your choice. Like me, most of my guns have a few bumps, scars and scrapes.

Poink88 06-08-2011 11:41 AM

All my handguns are new except for one and the used one seems to be the best overall.

I bought it (S&W 5906 9mm) from CDNN for $300.00 and I couldn't be happier. It is a police trade-in and last I checked, they still have some.

See the front page (lower right corner) of their catalog here Buy Gun Accessories, Hi-Capacity Mags, Scopes, Gun Parts & More at CDNN Sports, Inc.

That said, no one can guarantee what you will get and it is best if you know what to check for and how.

Good luck!!!

stalkingbear 06-08-2011 11:51 AM

Let the buyer beware is a term to live by. If you don't know the seller I'd check it out thoroughly. Gun shows are a popular place to get rid of problematic guns. Yes I buy/trade for a lot of used guns but I know how to fix them in case it's necessary.

JonM 06-08-2011 01:50 PM

About half or more of my firearms are used. I typically replace springs and give the firearm a very thorough cleaning to erase any old history and restore function replacing worn parts if any as i go.

Most modern new guns are getting worse quality wise

Tackleberry1 06-08-2011 01:59 PM

If you have a buddy who knows what he's looking at then take him. If you don't, buy new.

TACK