Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Buying a Taurus 85 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/buying-taurus-85-a-22729/)

MoHawk 01-28-2010 11:13 PM

Buying a Taurus 85

1 Attachment(s)
As soon as I leave work. .38SPL+P. Wish me luck

Hollander 01-28-2010 11:26 PM

I purchased one last summer. I had to get it to a gunsmith to improve the trigger and make it at least average in performance. Last Taurus I bought had to go back - 22lr would not eject shells, cylinder locked up, and hammer edges were sharp. Hope you get a better gun. Good Luck.

Gojubrian 01-29-2010 12:14 AM

How much do those run? Good luck and give us back a report. :cool:

MoHawk 01-29-2010 11:54 PM

Just got it today. Gorgeous, light weight, and has a bobbed hammer instead of a full hammer. I can't wait to shoot it.

MoHawk 02-01-2010 08:27 PM

I put 200 rounds of Remington Wadcutter through it yesterday. This was my first time shooting a revolver was was defiantley a learning experience. The gun seems to be fairly accurate. I was getting 4 out of 5 rounds in a 4 inch cluster, the 5th round always seemed to wander. I know that is my fault. Also, a few times, it would not fire. Out of 200 rounds, it did not fire 6 times. I am hoping it was a result of sub par ammo. Guess I'll try again with different ammo next time. Also, as soon as I finished, a friend of mine bought me a Hogue grip for it. I like the grip a laot as it is just slightly longer and a lot narrower. It does print a little more than the stock grip but I think in the long run it'll be better

skullcrusher 02-01-2010 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoHawk (Post 222751)
I put 200 rounds of Remington Wadcutter through it yesterday. This was my first time shooting a revolver was was defiantley a learning experience. The gun seems to be fairly accurate. I was getting 4 out of 5 rounds in a 4 inch cluster, the 5th round always seemed to wander. I know that is my fault. Also, a few times, it would not fire. Out of 200 rounds, it did not fire 6 times. I am hoping it was a result of sub par ammo. Guess I'll try again with different ammo next time. Also, as soon as I finished, a friend of mine bought me a Hogue grip for it. I like the grip a laot as it is just slightly longer and a lot narrower. It does print a little more than the stock grip but I think in the long run it'll be better

Right, because Remington is sub-par....:rolleyes:

Gojubrian 02-01-2010 09:00 PM

Hmmmmmm,weird. Please let us know if it still fails to fire. If so, it will have to go back and another bad taurus gun. What the heck taurus??? :mad:

skullcrusher 02-01-2010 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojubrian (Post 222778)
Hmmmmmm,weird. Please let us know if it still fails to fire. If so, it will have to go back and another bad taurus gun. What the heck taurus??? :mad:

Brian, a good friend of mine bought 2 Taurus' within the past year, but he is well known for researching EVERYTHING.

He first bought the 24/7 Pro Long Slide in .40 S&W. Most recently, he purchased the 605 in .357, 5 shot snubbie. No issues with either pistol other than everytime he brings them over, I out shoot him with his own pistols. :)

I dunno, it seems that there are issues with certain models and not others. I wonder what gives as well?

Franciscomv 02-01-2010 09:11 PM

6 misfires is quite a lot. Did you keep those rounds? Did you check the primers to see if they where properly struck?

Is the gun new? If it's used, somebody might have tried to improve the trigger pull and messed up the revolver's reliability.

Franciscomv 02-01-2010 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullcrusher (Post 222785)
I dunno, it seems that there are issues with certain models and not others. I wonder what gives as well?

Certainly seems that way, a good friend that I go to the range with owns a Taurus PT92, we've put all sorts of rounds through it without any sort of issue (including some bad reloaded ones we found at the gunshop where he works). Hundreds and hundreds of shots without a single problem.

My Judge, on the other hand, broke before I was done with the first box of ammo (frame cracked).