Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Buying, selling, shipping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I second the 'sticky'. We have plenty of new members who stop in and are looking to buy their first gun. Some of this is something I bet they have never thought about.

As far as the gifting goes, I would suggest people check their state laws. I imagine gifting in Arizona or Texas is different than receiving a gift in Cali.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-01-2010, 09:16 PM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
I second the 'sticky'. We have plenty of new members who stop in and are looking to buy their first gun. Some of this is something I bet they have never thought about.

As far as the gifting goes, I would suggest people check their state laws. I imagine gifting in Arizona or Texas is different than receiving a gift in Cali.
Motion to "second" passed!

Old 04-02-2010, 12:06 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8308 Times on 3590 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Additional note- unless YOU are a "licensed person"- meaning holder of a FFL, you may NOT TRANSFER any firearm to a resident of another state- unless THEY are a "licensed person". Includes rifles, shotguns, handguns, and anti-aircraft missles. Includes 'face to face". A DEALER can sell a rifle or shotgun to someone visiting from another state- a private citizen cannot- and that is spelled out quite plainly in Title 18 US Code, section 922.

The exception is not "gifting"- it is inheritance. The Executor of the estate acts on behalf of the deceased, and can transfer firearms to the inheritor without regard to their state of residence. When Dad died, he was a Virginia residnet, I was a Colorado resident. I recieved his firearms directly. This is also in 922.

Regarding shipping a firearm- whether by US Mail, FedEx, UPS, OR handing it to the baggage folks at Untied Airlines (that was not a typo) you MUST inform the carrier that the shipment contains a firearm. The Feds HAVE put folks in the slammer over this.

And you CAN ship or mail a rifle or shotgun to YOURSELF in another state- legally. Going to hunt at the Big Sky Lodge in Montana- I can mail my rifle, adressed to myself, in care of Big Sky Lodge. The ownership of that rifle did not transfer to another person.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.