Buying, selling, shipping - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Buying, selling, shipping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 06:45 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I second the 'sticky'. We have plenty of new members who stop in and are looking to buy their first gun. Some of this is something I bet they have never thought about.

As far as the gifting goes, I would suggest people check their state laws. I imagine gifting in Arizona or Texas is different than receiving a gift in Cali.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-01-2010, 10:16 PM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
I second the 'sticky'. We have plenty of new members who stop in and are looking to buy their first gun. Some of this is something I bet they have never thought about.

As far as the gifting goes, I would suggest people check their state laws. I imagine gifting in Arizona or Texas is different than receiving a gift in Cali.
Motion to "second" passed!

Old 04-02-2010, 01:06 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9754 Times on 4196 Posts
Likes Given: 1536

Additional note- unless YOU are a "licensed person"- meaning holder of a FFL, you may NOT TRANSFER any firearm to a resident of another state- unless THEY are a "licensed person". Includes rifles, shotguns, handguns, and anti-aircraft missles. Includes 'face to face". A DEALER can sell a rifle or shotgun to someone visiting from another state- a private citizen cannot- and that is spelled out quite plainly in Title 18 US Code, section 922.

The exception is not "gifting"- it is inheritance. The Executor of the estate acts on behalf of the deceased, and can transfer firearms to the inheritor without regard to their state of residence. When Dad died, he was a Virginia residnet, I was a Colorado resident. I recieved his firearms directly. This is also in 922.

Regarding shipping a firearm- whether by US Mail, FedEx, UPS, OR handing it to the baggage folks at Untied Airlines (that was not a typo) you MUST inform the carrier that the shipment contains a firearm. The Feds HAVE put folks in the slammer over this.

And you CAN ship or mail a rifle or shotgun to YOURSELF in another state- legally. Going to hunt at the Big Sky Lodge in Montana- I can mail my rifle, adressed to myself, in care of Big Sky Lodge. The ownership of that rifle did not transfer to another person.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.