Buying, selling, shipping
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Buying, selling, shipping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 08:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

Default Buying, selling, shipping

This can get confusing as both state & federal laws apply. I'll talk about GA and these statements will apply to most states. Some states add extra steps, like California, so check your state laws.

Face to face sale. I can sell a handgun to a GA resident as long as I'm "reasonably" certain it's legal for them to own a gun. I do not need any paperwork nor do I need to get a bill of sale - but some folks do. As a minimum, check their DL to make sure they're a GA resident and they are old enough. How do I know whether they are a felon? One way is to ask if they have a carry permit (a GFL here). If they do, then I know they have cleared a background check and all is good. Do I have to - no, I just have to reasonably believe they are allowed to own a gun.

You cannot sell a handgun face to face to a resident of another state - period. This is a violation of federal law. Sales to residents of another state must go through an FFL (dealer) in the buyer's state.

Buying online. You find the gun you want here or on Gunbroker - how do you get it? The first thing you do is find a local FFL that will receive the gun and transfer it to you on a Form 4473. You will pay a fee for this which can range from nothing to $100 or more. Talk to your dealer and make sure you get this part clearly understood - before you make the purchase.

Some FFLs will accept a gun from a private seller, some will not. It's legal for them to do so but some will not accept the risk. Be sure to ask. If they do accept a shipment from a private seller, they will require the seller to include proof of identity in the box, usually a copy of their drivers license. They have to do this as they must have a legal way to prove where they got the gun to enter it in their book. If they do not accept from a private seller, you can find one that does or you ask the seller if they will ship from their FFL. If the seller has to ship from their FFL they will be hit with costs on their end.

You pay the seller for the gun and send the seller a copy of your dealer's FFL. Many sellers will accept a faxed FFL, where some will want a signed original. Some dealers will give you a copy of their FFL so you can send it, some will not and they will send it. If you're buying from Bud's or another large online dealer, your dealer's FFL may already be on file. Each transaction can be different - make sure you understand what will be required for your purchase.

Shipping. An FFL is allowed to use the USPS (post office) to ship a handgun, non-FFLs are not. It is a violation of federal law for a non-FFL to ship a handgun through the post office - period. Non-FFLs must ship a handgun through a commercial carrier such as UPS or FedEx. These carriers require that handguns be shipped express (next day air) and it is costly. Some folks just lie and do not tell the carrier that the box contains a gun so they can ship at "ground" rates. It is a violation of federal law if you do not tell the carrier that the box contains a gun. Some folks also think they can break a gun into pieces and get around this law - can't do it legally. The serialized part (usually the frame) is considered a gun for legal purposes. Yes you can send a slide with no problems; however, the frame is the gun and all laws apply.

Non-FFLs may ship by UPS or FedEx to an FFL or a manufacturer as long as they follow the above rules. My FFL will ship a gun for me at USPS flat rates so it's much cheaper if I bring it to him and let him send it.

Anyway folks, these are the highlights and if you want to verify any of this - knock yourself out. I have read the specific legal stuff myself and you're welcome to dig it up yourself to verify what I've written. I personally have never wanted to visit federal prison so I tend to be a tad anal about following the law...

Last edited by NGIB; 04-01-2010 at 08:45 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-01-2010, 08:56 AM   #2

Another note about non-FFL shipping. Many times you will have to take your gun to a "hub" or "service center" to ship. Some outlets, like a UPS Store, will not accept a gun for shipment. My UPS store will so I'm lucky that way. Be sure to have a copy of the receiver's FFL packed in the box as well as another copy to show to the shipping agent.

And yes, I have shipped handguns this way a few times. I've also had my FFL ship them for me, which in many cases is less hassle and cheaper...

Last edited by NGIB; 04-01-2010 at 09:00 AM.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Question for clarification: I thought that there is an exception to the rule for transfer of a firearm to an immediate family member (farther, mother, son, daughter), even if such person is a resident of another state. Any idea on this, as I can't find it in writing?

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 04-01-2010, 04:35 PM   #4

There are special gifting rules but TBH I'm not familiar with them...

Old 04-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #5

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Very good post NGIB.
"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
Very good post NGIB.
Thank you pardner. We had a young fella come VERY close to a felony yesterday and I couldn't find a post like this so I wrote one.

A mod should probably sticky this so folks can find it, especially after you wise folks fill in the areas I did not cover to well...

Last edited by NGIB; 04-01-2010 at 04:48 PM.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:50 PM   #7

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Was that the one that was going to drive a few hours for a FTF with the seller?
"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
Was that the one that was going to drive a few hours for a FTF with the seller?
Yup, Skull & I were on that one. I reported his post to get a mod's attention and JD flew in and let the young man know his plan was bad...

Old 04-01-2010, 05:11 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Great post NGIB.

Question: What if the person you're selling to FTF has a CCW but has been charged with a felloney but is out on bail or what not. ? Guess that can happen regardless though right?

Old 04-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
Great post NGIB.

Question: What if the person you're selling to FTF has a CCW but has been charged with a felloney but is out on bail or what not. ? Guess that can happen regardless though right?
Sure. All that's required here in GA is that you are not aware of any reason the buyer can't own the gun. If they tell you they're a felon - the deal's off...

(And yes folks, I buy/sell/trade way to much which is why I know this crap)

Last edited by NGIB; 04-01-2010 at 05:20 PM.