You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Buying a pistol for my 21st birthday.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2016, 01:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Buying a pistol for my 21st birthday.

I want to buy a pistol on my 21st birthday but I will still have the under 21 vertical drivers license, will this be an issue?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-24-2016, 01:45 AM   #2

Liked 1565 Times on 884 Posts
Likes Given: 1798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor73 View Post
I want to buy a pistol on my 21st birthday but I will still have the under 21 vertical drivers license, will this be an issue?
it shouldn't because it goes by your birthdate. but it might depend on the gun shop as well. I have seen gun shops refuse a sale because the address on the license didn't match the one on the 4473 form. I have seen them refuse a sale for different reasons that seemed inconsequential. the gun shop can refuse any sale if they don't feel comfortable with it.
People Like This 
Old 01-24-2016, 01:47 AM   #3

I guess I will just have to try and see, I just don't want to wait haha

Old 01-24-2016, 09:00 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4481 Times on 2508 Posts
Likes Given: 2148

Welcome to the forum!

The first one is great (no matter what it is).

I will suggest training with a certified instructor.

As you go through the forum and read the threads, you will notice that there are sections for different topics.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-24-2016, 09:21 AM   #5
Forum Chaplain
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1687 Times on 1085 Posts
Likes Given: 1471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor73 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas53 View Post
it shouldn't because it goes by your birthdate. but it might depend on the gun shop as well. I have seen gun shops refuse a sale because the address on the license didn't match the one on the 4473 form. I have seen them refuse a sale for different reasons that seemed inconsequential. the gun shop can refuse any sale if they don't feel comfortable with it.
What Dallas said!!! they DO NOT have to have a "valid" reason. But in general the bithdate has to show that you are 21 as it would if you were to sit at a bar that only serves 21 year olds AND that the ID is not expired.
Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend. Prv. 27:17

Old 01-24-2016, 01:46 PM   #6
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 13578 Times on 5763 Posts
Likes Given: 2259

Trevor- I moved your post over to handguns.

Remember you will need TWO pieces of ID, both showing your current address. One must be a govt issued photo ID. That is usually a driver's license. The other can be a hunting license, car registration, voter registration card (you ARE registered to vote, yes?) etc.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:50 PM   #7

Liked 3547 Times on 2077 Posts
Likes Given: 904

Two valid forms of ID. If your license isn't expired and has your date of birth in it that should still validate age.

My 21st birthday handgun was an Italian Beretta 92FS. But that was over 21 years ago. Dang, I'm feeling old.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:56 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3591 Times on 1978 Posts
Likes Given: 1039

My 1st handgun was almost 60 years ago. Back then all you needed was money. Things have changed and not for the better.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:30 AM   #9

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 104

I just purchased my first handgun a Beretta 92A1. I am at college right now and it is sitting at my local gun shop waiting for me to get home. I can't wait to bring it home. Welcome to the forum, there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here so don't be afraid to ask for help.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:11 AM   #10

Liked 169 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Lots a luck on your first purchase. One of the happiest days of my life was my first gun purchase. Don't know if that's sad to most? But it's my story. Mine was a Taurus 38p. Never could shoot it worth a flip? Learn from my experience, take your time and purchase a gun that's has a good reputation for reliability and you are comfortable with. And you have waited this long, if you need to put together a little more coin for something you really want. I suggest you do it. I suggest you start looking at compact 9mm's and go from there. Good luck.