Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Buying a new revolver in a few days need some help...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2009, 09:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Buying a new revolver in a few days need some help...

Well boys and girls I managed to win a brief writing contest that I didn't even sign up for down at the law school and I got 1,000$ for my prize. needless to say I am buying a new gun.

I dont want to spend much over 500$ and I want a snub nose .38 special revolver made by Smith And Wesson. Please lets not have a flame war here, i just want an S&W end of debate.

Now the question is which S&W should I get? there seems to be hundreds of variations out there and im not entirely sure what the difference is. so please, try to convince me as to which gun to get.

my primary purpose will be concealed carry for when my glock 26 is a little bit too big or i am in the mood to carry a revolver.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them"-Thomas Jefferson

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-30-2009, 09:46 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The J frame Smiths cost closer to $600. around here. Anyway, any J frame will do, but for carry, they alloy models will be an easier all day carry piece.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-30-2009, 09:59 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
The J frame Smiths cost closer to $600. around here. Anyway, any J frame will do, but for carry, they alloy models will be an easier all day carry piece.
how will the j frame compare with my g26 size wise?

what is an "alloy model" is that the airweight deal?

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them"-Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-30-2009, 10:05 PM   #4

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

The Airweights are the allow frame models. The newer ones are certified for +P ammo, the older ones are not. As far as a size comparison to a G26 - can't help you there as I've never held a G26. I can tell you that a J frame will go into a pocket no problem. Here's an older Model 37 (Airweight) I picked up used a few weeks ago for $265 - it was a smoking deal...

Old 09-30-2009, 10:36 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i noticed i looks like the hammer has been shaved off or something. any reason?

i personally like having a hammer because I like the light single action trigger pull. and i like being able to choose between double and single action

Old 09-30-2009, 10:39 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7591 Times on 3304 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

Just my 2 cents worth- go for the S&W Mdl 60 in .357 mag. It is a stainless J frame snubbie. Gives you the option of plinking with 38 special wadcutter, or carrying serious social purpose ammo.

Airweight used to mean aluminum. Now it can mean Titanium or Scandium alloy- weighs less than the dust in the air around it.

However, while weight in a daily carry weapon is a pain, remember that all other things being equal, the lighter gun kicks more.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:00 AM   #7

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

When I bought my 37 Airweight, the store had 2 used Model 60s and I was very tempted. These are beautiful well made guns and I had to seriously resist temptation not to leave with one of them.

I agree 100% with C3's recommendation that this would be a great choice for you.

As far as the hammer being bobbed on mine, this was an ex-LEO gun and it was done to prevent snags as it was an officer's BUG...

Old 10-01-2009, 11:18 AM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
Well boys and girls I managed to win a brief writing contest that I didn't even sign up for down at the law school and I got 1,000$ for my prize. needless to say I am buying a new gun.

I dont want to spend much over 500$ and I want a snub nose .38 special revolver made by Smith And Wesson. Please lets not have a flame war here, i just want an S&W end of debate.

Now the question is which S&W should I get? there seems to be hundreds of variations out there and im not entirely sure what the difference is. so please, try to convince me as to which gun to get.

my primary purpose will be concealed carry for when my glock 26 is a little bit too big or i am in the mood to carry a revolver.

Before you spend money on ANY pistol, take the time to go to a gun range and try out a few of these pocket sized revolvers. Many ranges have rentals available.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:34 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2263 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Bobbed conventional hammers or S&W DAO hammers are nice. For a BUG they really help with the draw. Consider the centennial series (640,642). i like the enclosed hammer. Less crud and pocket lint will get in.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-01-2009, 02:42 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have shot a S&W snub nosed .38 airweight and the ruger LCR a couple weeks ago. Both shot better than I expected. i figured i wouldn't be able to hit the sit of a barn with one of those but i was wrong. neither of them had a hammer and I didn't like that at all.

interestingly, the s&w felt just a little bit lighter than the LCR despite being made of metal.