Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   buying a new handgun. suggestions? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/buying-new-handgun-suggestions-48109/)

jeepdude90 09-11-2011 04:22 AM

buying a new handgun. suggestions?
 
im looking to buy my first handgun. ive shot my dads .32 a lot. that gun is a lot of fun. im probably going to carry too. i like the 1911. any suggestions?

c3shooter 09-11-2011 09:11 AM

We answer this question a LOT.

First answer- find a range that rents handguns for use on that range- try as many as you can.

Second answer- first handgun- a GOOD .22 auto- Ruger or Browning. You will shoot a LOT more, and the habits and skills picked up with the .22 will apply to larger handguns.

Third answer- first CARRY handgun= S&W Model 60 or it's equivalent. Compact, relatively light, simplicity of use of a double action revolver. There are also fans of small .32/ .380 autos.

1911? GREAT gun. But may not be the BEST gun for a beginner. Your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited or taxed. Sic transit gloria mundi.

jeepdude90 09-11-2011 03:51 PM

yea after i posted this i looked around on the forum and saw many threads just like mine haha.

Firearm007 09-21-2011 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepdude90 (Post 578348)
im looking to buy my first handgun. ive shot my dads .32 a lot. that gun is a lot of fun. im probably going to carry too. i like the 1911. any suggestions?

Sure i can suggest the Sig p238 1911 style .380 pistol fits in your pocket:)

trip286 09-21-2011 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 578412)
Sic transit gloria mundi.

I'm sorry this is off topic, but what does this mean? I'm curious

hardluk1 09-21-2011 04:24 PM

Do a search on different sites This subject has been cover hudreds of times.. Or buy a 38 revolver or A 9mm xd, m&p or glock mid sized in 9mm and learn to shoot it very well. If your a young shooter the 45 and 40 can get expensive to shoot + there ain't many low cost 1911 worthy of carry'n. If you want a light weight 1911 they all get kinda pricey too. Also look at bersa for good pistols at good prices also. Bottom line is, You have to make a choice not use. Talk to your dad about the right handgun for you.

303tom 09-21-2011 05:45 PM

So which would you prefer auto or a wheel gun ?

Glockpotion23 09-21-2011 11:09 PM

I would start off with a 9mm. Since your talking about carrying, a 9mm would be a nice start. You want to make sure its reliable if your carrying. The first thing is get a lot of knowledge about firearms including the one you want to invest in. My second handgun was a Glock 23. I studied that gun nearly 9 months before in my heart told me to get it. I didnt do that with my first one and it showed:o

canebrake 09-21-2011 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 578412)
Sic transit gloria mundi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 583723)
I'm sorry this is off topic, but what does this mean? I'm curious

"Gloria threw up on the bus Monday."









Actually it's a Latin phrase meaning "so passes the glory of the world."

It's Templar-Masonic in origin.

jjfuller1 09-21-2011 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 578412)
We answer this question a LOT.

First answer- find a range that rents handguns for use on that range- try as many as you can.

Second answer- first handgun- a GOOD .22 auto- Ruger or Browning. You will shoot a LOT more, and the habits and skills picked up with the .22 will apply to larger handguns.

Third answer- first CARRY handgun= S&W Model 60 or it's equivalent. Compact, relatively light, simplicity of use of a double action revolver. There are also fans of small .32/ .380 autos.

1911? GREAT gun. But may not be the BEST gun for a beginner. Your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited or taxed. Sic transit gloria mundi.

well stated


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:43 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.