Buying my wife her first handgun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Buying my wife her first handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Buying my wife her first handgun

Hat caliber should I get her

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-03-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 231 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Bring her to range.. rent the guns. Let her choose which caliber, guns, sizes or models she will be comfortable with. I'd suggest go with the 9mm.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Had this asked in one of my classes, my simple answer was and is, I don’t pick out my wife’s shoes and I will not pick out her gun she has to like the feel and fit.
That is unless you like it and you know your wife will put it down and then you can claim it as yours.

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 03-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7315 Times on 4399 Posts
Likes Given: 8970

If she might be a little timid, I'd even start her out with a .22 and let her get some good practice with that before moving up to a larger caliber. But the best thing is to rent a few and let her decide what she can handle. You don't want to start her out with something that is too much recoil for her making her think she can't be good at shooting.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #5

Liked 1132 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Yup I agree go to a range that will rent you a few guns to try but let her handle them and pick out what feel best in her hands , what you like may not fit or feel good in her hands , start her with nothing more than a 9mm to get a feel for shooting it . I will say one thing the bigger the gun the less muzzle flip it will have and she will be more comfortable shooting it at first , this will go away once she gets a few hundred rounds under her belt then she may be more comfortable shooting a shorter barrel and may not be a issue . I see alot of women shooting the Ruger SR9s they are pretty skinny in the grip area , also let her shoot a few revolvers thats the route my wife went , she just likes the feel and the looks of a wheel gun so thats what she picked out

Old 03-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've taken mine to the range several times now. She doesn't like auto's they "throw stuff in her hair". Loves my 357 though.