Buying my first handgun - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Buying my first handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2008, 03:39 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 56 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I've never been ACCUSED of being 'normal".

Old 10-03-2008, 09:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Pistols are nice, and I love them all, but maybe you might have heard this famous quote before:

"A pistol is for fighting with until you can get a rifle"

There is a reason for that, and hunting is no exception. No matter how great the pistol, it still isn't as good, as accurate, as effective or as powerful as a rifle.

Hunting should always be about the ethical and swift killing of the animal. In my mind, having the best possible tool to insure that is the responsibility of the hunter.

JD
I completely agree. If I didn't live in Ohio I would use an M1 Grand, 7mm or 25 06. My rifle skills are fine but I have to think that a .44MAG or a 460 would be more accurate than a smooth bore shot gun.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Edwards View Post
I completely agree. If I didn't live in Ohio I would use an M1 Grand, 7mm or 25 06. My rifle skills are fine but I have to think that a .44MAG or a 460 would be more accurate than a smooth bore shot gun.
Actually those smoothbores have been doing a pretty good job in states that restrict people to using them .

20+ years ago the ammo companies redesigned many slugs to be quite accurate from the smooth bore and a few gun makers came out with rifled shotgun barrels .

Not wanting to kill your interest in handguns here but if it is only for the once a year deer hunt you would be better served with a Mossberg 500 with two barrels , one for typical shot for whatever purpose and one designed for deer hunting with slugs and topped off with a scope . It would be a much more economical setup and close the deal on a whitetail to 100+ yards .

At ranges beyond that you get into the need for either a rifle or a specialty pistol chambered for a rifle round or a wildcat .

The T/C Encore would be the cheapest way to go and a 30-30 , 6.8mm Remington or 7-30 Waters barrel .

As a matter of fact if the gun is purely for hunting the T/C and a rifle round like the Waters or the 6.8mm Remington would be your best bet .

Old 10-12-2008, 06:34 AM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO01 View Post
Better yet have you even fired handguns enough to deal with the recoil and shoot them well .

If not I'm betting you'll touch off that 44 mag a few times case it up and want to trade/sell it off faster than you bought it and take a huge loss .

You can always send it off to Magna-Port, and have a dual port done on it. Makes a huge difference!

Old 10-12-2008, 12:00 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 56 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Rick,

Just get what YOU like. If a PC 44 Mag tickles your fancy then get one or two. There is no law that says you can't have more than one gun... for damned sure. I have five 44 Magnums and shoot them all. And then there's the other 17 handguns I shoot occasionally. GO FOR IT BUDDY!