Buying my 1st firearm(female) help please?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Buying my 1st firearm(female) help please?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014, 02:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts

Default Buying my 1st firearm(female) help please?

I read through each one of the sticky posts and looked at all the comparison charts but I'm honestly so far out of my element... I'm still trying to learn all the lingo and such too.

I'm looking to make my 1st firearm purchase and could really use some help/advice. I'm looking for a semi-auto handgun (assuming thats the one with the clip, not a revolver).

I'm female, 5'6" and about 130 lbs so I'm not a big person. I was an athlete in college so I still do have SOME muscle but I feel like I would be 'recoil sensitive.' (I saw that specific phrase in one of the skicky's lol)

This will be simply for personal (in home) protection (I'm a single female with no children). It might leave the house sometimes but just to go to the range so that I can learn how to shoot it, otherwise it'll be in a case.

I don't care about color (although I do prefer the stainless steel/nickel but black would be fine) and I'm not a fan of pink. The idea of being able to get custom grips is cool and would be preferable if possible. I also have small hands and I think that's important to note.

When looking at the charts and such they have breakdowns of compact vs pocket? It looks to me like the main difference is the barrel length (which of course affects the weight).

This would be my DREAM gun just based on how it looks...

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/1/15/ColtMkIVSilver_DeNiro_Machete.jpg/450px-ColtMkIVSilver_DeNiro_Machete.jpg

It is my understanding that I could always get a gun custom engraved (any gun) and pearl colored grips can be added, which is why I said just based on how it looks, I don't have a preference for the make or model

IDEALLY I would like something thats...
1. Alittle lighter than standard size handguns (my dad has a 9mm Glock and it just seems too big and heavy for me)
2. Has a smaller grip area for me to hold (small hands)
3. As little recoil as possible?
4. Ability to customize as desired (i.e. custom grips)

Hope that wasn't too long winded (I wanted to make sure I gave as much info as possible lol) and hopefully I didn't leave anything out.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated
Thank you! Wendy

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-01-2014, 02:59 AM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2879 Times on 1580 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Closest you are going to come to the 1911 platform in a smaller gun while maintaining at least 9mm is the Sig P938. They have several models from plain to fancy but are pricey. They are great to shoot. You should not have any problem with a regular 1911 platform. My wife was able to shoot mine when I had them including my 25 oz aluminum framed officers size and she is petite. Just be prepared for the weight. The steel frames are heavy but here are some aluminum frame 1911's out there. Springfield makes a slightly reduced size 1911 called the EMP in 9mm and 40 S&W but if you are worried about recoil stay with the 9mm.
Note: it is a magazine not a clip.
Here is a link to the EMP. http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=110
Here is a link to Sig. http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductList/pistols-p938.aspx

Last edited by JTJ; 05-01-2014 at 03:15 AM.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:03 AM   #3

Liked 355 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Well nothing like picking out a serious recoiling gun. Seriously, I would probably recommend a Ruger Mark III 22/45. Basic model will cost right about $300. After learning on that platform something like a S&W9c, Glock 19 would make a good self defense gun and good for the range.

Find a local range that rents pistols and go try a few. Maybe buy a few hours of instruction in the operation of firearms and basic pistol handling. Spending money on education and trial guns might save you in the longrun.
People Like This 
Old 05-01-2014, 03:08 AM   #4

Liked 2481 Times on 1457 Posts
Likes Given: 568

Welcome to the forum and welcome to firearms. Buying your first gun is a very subjective and personal thing. You have given us some good info to work with on what you want out of the gun. Your location and timing as far as choices may be kind of limited. CA is not exactly super gun friendly. Some of the popular low recoil caliber ammo is also in short supply, Like .380 and .22.

I don't recommend the .22 for a home defense gun if you can handle something larger, but it does make a good beginner caliber for getting shooting fundamentals mastered. My wife's preferred caliber is the .380, though she also handles a 9mm pretty well. Her chosen pistol is a Beretta 85, in .380. It is a good useable size for a .380, with a single stack mag that keeps the grip slim. It has good sights, is large enough to make recoil manageable. Bersa makes a similar sized .380 that costs less, and has a pretty good reputation.

I'll make pretty general recommendations, because finding the gun that fits best and has the features you prefer is not likely to happen on an Internet forum. If you can find a range that rents guns, it can be a good idea to try several guns and calibers to see what you like, and what you can handle.

Gun fit and design can go a long way in managing recoil. A gun that doesn't have the barrel sitting really high above the hand, will feel like it has less recoil, because it doesn't flip up as much. This could allow you to feel more comfortable with a heavier caliber than you may have liked in another gun. The heavily engraved 1911 that you linked in your post has a low bore axis, but most come in .45 caliber, which can be heavy, and some people think it kicks hard, but it's weight, thin grip frame, low bore axis make it a fairly comfortable shooter in reality. They do make versions in 9mm as well.

Engraving and shiny metal can be nice to look at but may interfere with shooting in bright sunlight.

There are low priced guns out there, but they may not be true bargains.

Continue to ask lots of questions once you narrow your choices down. People here are usually happy to share their thoughts and experiences with brands and models of guns. Ask before you buy, so folks can share any negative experiences, or quirks they may have encountered.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:15 AM   #5

Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Power to weight ratio is a very important consideration for a defensive firearm wielded by a recoil sensitive person.

Most will tell you that "acceptable" stopping power in a semi auto pistol means one of 3 calibers. 45 ACP, .40 S&W, or 9mm.

Of the 3, the 9mm will have the lightest recoil. Next is weight, the heavier the gun, the less felt recoil.

Having shot and owned pretty much every gun on the market over the years, it is my opinion that NOTHING shoots as well or as easy as a model 1911 "like your picture".

...and they come in all 3 major calibers listed above, and a few others.

The best advice you'll ever get on this topic is to go to a range that rents pistols and shoot everything that appeals to you. This is the only way to know if you'll be comfortable with a handgun before you buy it.

Good luck and be safe.

Tack

Last edited by Tackleberry1; 05-01-2014 at 03:17 AM.
kryptar19 Likes This 
Old 05-01-2014, 03:17 AM   #6

Liked 2611 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
Well nothing like picking out a serious recoiling gun. Seriously, I would probably recommend a Ruger Mark III 22/45. Basic model will cost right about $300. After learning on that platform something like a S&W9c, Glock 19 would make a good self defense gun and good for the range.

Find a local range that rents pistols and go try a few. Maybe buy a few hours of instruction in the operation of firearms and basic pistol handling. Spending money on education and trial guns might save you in the longrun.
Hey, TheQueenie, welcome to the FTF, from Tampa Bay.

I would seriously consider getting a Ruger MKIII- 22LR target pistol, or perhaps, an

old Smith & Wesson 61 in Nickel Plate. Very solid, and well made. It's a pistol

specifically designed for women, but I don't mind telling you I'm a big guy,

and I carry one around the house, and I don't feel under-gunned, even

though it's a 22LR.

Right now, you really have no point of reference, as far as recoil, how you

shoot, accuracy, or what caliber or type may be best. One caliber which has

been getting overlooked since the .380 craze is the .32 caliber. The CZ83 in

.32 ACP may be a good choice for you. A well made, yet inexpensive pistol, 12 -shot mag,(clip)

and convenient size, as well as a decent sized medium grip, make it a fine candidate.

California, (if that is where you are going to choose to live, long-term) has some very

PC and restrictive gun laws. Get to know the laws in your area.

Google HandgunlawUS.

Last edited by therewolf; 05-01-2014 at 03:36 AM.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:27 AM   #7

Liked 641 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 2022

Like Tack said, the best thing to do is go and rent some.

A few suggestions that I have sold to the ladies. (with good results)
S&W M&P 9mm compact
Bersa Thunder .380
Ruger SR9 compact
CZ 75 compact.

One thing to think about. If its not gonna be for carry use, think about getting a full size pistol. More weight=less recoil full frame=more capacity

Old 05-01-2014, 03:28 AM   #8

Liked 641 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post

Very solid advice.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:38 AM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2879 Times on 1580 Posts
Likes Given: 810

The guns I gave her links to were based on her dream gun. She said she does not care but really wants shiny. 22lr are hard to come by right now and it is needed as a home defense weapon. The gun I would have liked to recommend is the Ruger SR9c if it is even available in the PRK. The SR9c is about $450 but really does not lend itself to enhancements. The M&P compact would be another option. She mentioned the grip on the Glock was too big for her but a gen 4 might be a possibility although it is pretty hard to dress up a Glock which she obviously wants to do. She should not have a problem with a 1911 in 9mm and the recoil is close to non existent. The grip on a 1911 is a lot smaller than a Glock. She could find a reasonably priced 1911 in 9mm without too much trouble.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:46 AM   #10

Liked 561 Times on 379 Posts

I too would recommend the M&P 9c.
My wife had a snub nose revolver 38 special when she wanted her first auto or semi auto I should say and she loves it and I actually shoot it two and it's a sweet shooting gun.
Not too big not too small seems to be just right for her
. But hopefully you can find a indoor range I know they got em up there in Sacramento I'm down here im Modesto we have them to that will rent guns