Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Buying Handguns at Online Websites - Advantages & Disadvantages

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2010, 12:11 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf109 View Post
Hi, thanks for the info.

The few FFL holders to whom I can ship the guns bought online are too far away from where I live. I wonder if I can have the pistol shipped to my local gun shop. I guess they're FFL holder because they sell guns.

If I buy pistols from Bud's gun shop online, how do I make the arrangement to have the guns shipped to my local gun shop? Do I need to get info. from the local shop first? Would it jeopardise my relationship with them?

Please share your experience. Thanks.
The FFL holders in your area listed by Bud's are probably just ones that other customers have had shipped to or the on line company has on file.

I would go chat it up with the employees of the local shop before just automatically having it shipped there. You will need to provide the on-line seller with a copy of the signed FFL anyhow, which someone at the shop will have to send to Bud's or give to you. I buy quite a few guns on Gunbroker and the shop that does all my transfers just gave me several copies of the FFL so I don't need to call them every time I decide to buy something. Every second or third gun they transfer for free since I buy stuff they have in stock sometimes also.
Some on line sellers want the FFL signed in ink, others will accept a faxed copy, but they need one either way.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 10-31-2010, 03:55 PM   #12

Some gunshop owners get pissed if you do it because your not buying off of them !
I seen one guy at a gunshop here being told by the owner to not come back anymore because he bought online and had it shipped to his store. He barred him from the store !
I think the shop owner should grow up and he's wrong to make such a big deal especially
since the guy bough about 3 guns off him in the past. Now he just lost a good customer who was a weekly buyer. Whether it be ammo, cases, magazines, or guns, the guy was there every saturday ! Some shop owners feel like your using them for their license I guess. I think it's bad buisiness, a good way to lose customers ! Maybe some shop owners should bring down their prices, and then people won't go online to buy. One shop here for instance charges $12.00 for a 100ct box of CCI Mini-Mags . That's a 150% markup ! The normal price is $8.00, the internet price is $6.50 ! If you ask me the same shop who kicked the guy out is a theif !

No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .

Old 11-02-2010, 12:59 AM   #13

To most prices you see online add about $40 at your local gun store to receive them. Good chances are your local gun store already have the weapon in question anyways.

Good things to buy online: Magazines, ammunition , holsters, scopes, red dots, which are most overpriced on retail stores, (exceptions made on holsters, which prices are almost the same), and can be shipped directly to your home.

Most local shops will be glad to receive the weapon, jut have the courtesy to call first, even if they are listed on any website already, you are going to be buying sometimes from them from time to time.

Saving a buck but losing a friend is a bad move.

Visit our website
FOLLOW US ON YOUTUBE

It works, only if you use it!
Look for me in the vendor display

Old 11-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #14

Default No luck at the local gun shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatopardo View Post
To most prices you see online add about $40 at your local gun store to receive them. Good chances are your local gun store already have the weapon in question anyways.

Good things to buy online: Magazines, ammunition , holsters, scopes, red dots, which are most overpriced on retail stores, (exceptions made on holsters, which prices are almost the same), and can be shipped directly to your home.

Most local shops will be glad to receive the weapon, jut have the courtesy to call first, even if they are listed on any website already, you are going to be buying sometimes from them from time to time.

Saving a buck but losing a friend is a bad move.
I had a chance to talk to the local gun shop about buying military surplus rifles. They said they don't transfer on new guns. Period. For used ones, they charge $75 for the transfer. That's ridiculous. I'll have to find other FFL holders in my area for the transfer.

If their price is within $60-70 range of the online price, I have no problem buying and supporting them. But charging $75 for paperwork is a rip-off.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:02 AM   #15

Quote:
I had a chance to talk to the local gun shop about buying military surplus rifles. They said they don't transfer on new guns. Period. For used ones, they charge $75 for the transfer. That's ridiculous. I'll have to find other FFL holders in my area for the transfer.

If their price is within $60-70 range of the online price, I have no problem buying and supporting them. But charging $75 for paperwork is a rip-off.
Goodness gracious, what got into those people! Unless they are the only gun shop in 100 miles around, find someone else.

Oh, I see you are in NY, I'm starting to suspect things are different over there, they can get away with it because they can, small supply and higher demand drives the prices sky hi.
Here in the Midwest, things are different, more even I guess you could say, regulation are more lax. You are bound to find a better bargain.

Good luck friend

Visit our website
FOLLOW US ON YOUTUBE

It works, only if you use it!
Look for me in the vendor display

Last edited by gatopardo; 11-03-2010 at 02:06 AM.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:09 AM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:

I charge $25.00 to transfer in a new gun, but I think you should act now to procure your own FFL, as I think it is best done while you still know everything about it...

Old 11-09-2010, 01:43 AM   #17

Quote:

Wow! Nice profit margin. My FFL charges $20, and makes a nice chunk of change doing it. $75 is just crazy, in fact, it's insulting. One place here gets $60 a pop, and has prices, and I'm being serious, hundreds of dollars more than the same gun can be found online. When I was looking for a S&W 5906, they had one that was in great shape, in the box, with two mags and paperwork. $550! I went to Gunbroker and found one in just as good condition, in the box and paperwork, for $325. Add 2 X $20 for shipping and transfer, and I saved $185 by going online. If I would have taken one without the box and paperwork, I could have saved another $25 bucks or so.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #18

Default Update on FFL

Hi, I was able to find a local FFL within 6 miles who will do the transfer for $25.
I cannot wait for my pistol permit to be proved so that I can go ahead buying my 1st handgun.