Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Buying Handguns at Online Websites - Advantages & Disadvantages

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Buying Handguns at Online Websites - Advantages & Disadvantages

I checked a couple of online gun stores and found that their prices are significantly lower than MSRP. Are those prices for Brand New pistols with manufacturer's warranties? What's the source of these pistols? How come they're much cheaper than retail gun stores?

What're the disadvantages of buying online? What's the chance of getting re-furbished or used guns when paying for brand new ones?

Can you recommend a few reliable and reputables online gun stores that have good customer feedbacks and reasonable return policies?

Lastly, what're the steps to go thru when buying online? Do I have to have the pistols delivered to a local gun shop and pay a fee?

Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-24-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1154 Times on 566 Posts
Likes Given: 72

In Florida the firearm has to ship to someone with a FFL license, which unless you know someone means a gun shop. Here the gunshop will charge about $25 to $35 to process the state paperwork and if you don't have a CCW you will wait three days to pickup the gun. You may save on the sales tax though, so that can be a wash.

At least that is what one of the local gun shops told me. As I have a CCW I have found I can do almost as well at the gun shows and take the weapon home with me.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:29 PM   #3

Thanks for your comments.

I'm in Connecticut and am not sure what the law requires. Can anyone from CT share his experience in buying online or from a gun show?

Old 10-24-2010, 05:56 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 220 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Bud's Gun Shop generally gets top reviews for selection, service, and competitive pricing. Smokin sales deals are pretty common there.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:59 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8373 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

Not a lawyer, but am a FFL holder.
In order to buy a handgun ANYWHERE in the US, it will need to be transferred to you thru a Federal Firearms License holder in your home state. This can be an 01 dealer, or an 02 Pawnshop. Some of us hold 03 Collector's Licenses, meaning cetain firearms (usually 50 yrs old) can be shipped directly to us.

You will pay purchase price, plus shipping, plus transfer fee at your end. Transfer fees may be $10, or $100- delaer sets his fee. Gunbroker.com and auctionarms.com are both competive bid sales sites, both have a "find a FFL" function, both show feedback ratings on sellers (and buyers). If a business is selling firearms, and they sub a used gun for a new one, they lay themselves open to mail fraud charges, assuming payment was sent by mail. DO NOT USE PAYPAL FOR GUNS.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:23 PM   #6

most guns are below MSRP
and sending from ffl to another ffl is ok
i have done it

Attitude is Everything

Old 10-24-2010, 11:59 PM   #7

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

I have purchased several guns online from Bud's Guns and others. Never have had a problem. If I can save more than $60.00 for the most part I use the online system. Check out the dealer's reputation for service and reliability first and then go for it if you can save yourself some money.

"Honey, can I buy another gun?" "Why another gun?" "I just figured out that I am two guns short of never enough!"

Old 10-25-2010, 12:50 AM   #8

Default How about ammo and gun accessories?

Thanks for all your responses.

How about buying ammo or gun accessories (i.e. magzines) online? Can the seller ship the ammo directly to my address?

Old 10-25-2010, 09:15 AM   #9

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

As you live in New York I would guess that there are limitations on what can be bought through the mail. Go to some web sites and check, if they don't ship particular items (like ammo) to NY - they'll say so...

Old 10-31-2010, 11:36 AM   #10

Default Can I have the gun shipped to my local gun shop?

Hi, thanks for the info.

The few FFL holders to whom I can ship the guns bought online are too far away from where I live. I wonder if I can have the pistol shipped to my local gun shop. I guess they're FFL holder because they sell guns.

If I buy pistols from Bud's gun shop online, how do I make the arrangement to have the guns shipped to my local gun shop? Do I need to get info. from the local shop first? Would it jeopardise my relationship with them?

Please share your experience. Thanks.