Buying a handgun - woman perspective
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Buying a handgun - woman perspective

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Buying a handgun - woman perspective

http://westernshootingjournal.com/women-and-guns/shopping-for-a-home-defense-handgun-case-study-by-a-female-reporter/

What other suggestions do you have?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-20-2013, 10:52 PM   #2

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

There are quite a few females here with a bunch of experience that I'm sure will be by in a few .Welcome to the forum and don't forget to stop by our introductions page and introduce you're self.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:04 PM   #3
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7036 Times on 4235 Posts
Likes Given: 8481

If you have any specific questions, I am here to answer some for you. I am a woman and have a few guns.

My first gun was a revolver. Revolvers are fairly easy to use and when you empty the cylinder, the gun is empty. No forgetting there might be one in the chamber. With a semi-auto, you have to drop the mag then rack the slide to make sure it's empty. Even some very experienced shooters find themselves with a loaded gun they were sure was empty.

I felt very comfortable with a revolver as a first gun and gradually felt the need/want for a semi-auto as I became more familiar with shooting. If you know someone who is experienced, I'll bet they would like to help you choose a firearm and help you get familiar with it.

Doc3402 Likes This 
Old 06-20-2013, 11:40 PM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1863 Times on 1010 Posts
Likes Given: 569

You generally got some good advice at the shops. Grip is extremely important and one of the reasons I recommend getting the feel of several different brands. Most of the Glocks dont fit my hand and I am a man. I dont know how some women manage the Glocks grip. My wife went with a Ruger SR9c which has a smaller grip than the Glock. She also learned on revolvers like Winds. She does not like the double action pull of the revolver and always shot them single action (cocked the hammer). There are many good pistols out there to choose from. Shoot as many as you can by renting or a friends weapon if they are willing.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 06-21-2013, 12:50 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Based on the article you linked, I'm assuming you want one for home defense. I like the idea of a rather heavy revolver chambered in .357 Magnum (just in case) but keeping it loaded with some hollow point .38 Specials (for reduced recoil as well as muzzle flash). I say a heavy one because if you aren't planning in carrying it for concealed carry, the extra weight is an advantage, in my opinion, which also reduces felt recoil.

Plus revolvers couldn't be easier to operate. Not to mention they're dang fun to shoot.

Always have clean socks.

People Like This 
Old 06-21-2013, 03:01 AM   #6

Liked 158 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I am also a girl and carry a Beretta PX4 subcompact 9MM. One thing I really like about it is it fits like a glove in my hand (I am 5'4" 130 lbs, average hand size I would say), has very controllable recoil and I have the option of using a 10, 13 or 17 round magazine. I cannot recommend enough to go to a local indoor range, rent a lane (most have a "ladies night" that is free for women) paying for an hour of gun rental (less than 7.00 usually) and trying out a bunch of different brands and calibers. Holding it in your hand at a store doesn't tell you anything about recoil, loading and reloading, ability to control the weapon etc. if you have a neutral brand-wise gun friendly person to go with you so you have safety rules down and don't want to feel silly on "how do I do this" questions all the better.

Good luck! Shooting is so awesome! And the knowledge that you are able to confidentially defend yourself and your family if needed is priceless!

Old 06-21-2013, 05:38 AM   #7

Liked 285 Times on 247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
If you have any specific questions, I am here to answer some for you. I am a woman and have a few guns.

My first gun was a revolver. Revolvers are fairly easy to use and when you empty the cylinder, the gun is empty. No forgetting there might be one in the chamber. With a semi-auto, you have to drop the mag then rack the slide to make sure it's empty. Even some very experienced shooters find themselves with a loaded gun they were sure was empty.

I felt very comfortable with a revolver as a first gun and gradually felt the need/want for a semi-auto as I became more familiar with shooting. If you know someone who is experienced, I'll bet they would like to help you choose a firearm and help you get familiar with it.
Most quality semiautomatics have a lock back after last round feature. There's no questioning a last round. Also one should grow accustomed to counting rounds fired so they don't have to wonder.

Just my dine

Old 06-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #8

thnx for the suggestions, someone also said to start with a .22 - less recoil until you're used to it then go up in caliber. What are your thoughts?

Old 06-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #9

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts

With automatics be sure that you can safely pull the slide back. My mom has a hard time finding anything larger than a .22 that she can easily operate the slide

Old 06-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2804 Times on 1621 Posts
Likes Given: 1220

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav373 View Post
thnx for the suggestions, someone also said to start with a .22 - less recoil until you're used to it then go up in caliber. What are your thoughts?
Would you use a .22lr on a 100# hog?

If not, then why would you expect it to stop a 200# bad guy?

Go with the largest caliber you can be proficient with.

(If that is the .22, then so be it.)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)