Buying a handgun - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Buying a handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2014, 12:09 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3133 Times on 1610 Posts
Likes Given: 4582

Is there a local malitia you can join....I know they will usually take in new recruits and help with training costs....................

Old 06-23-2014, 01:50 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 594 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Default Witness..couple of words of advice

Take it for what it is, advice, not criticism.

I saw you write about ending a situation quickly. That would not be a handgun, that would be de-escalate, escape, don't be there in the first place. The last place you want to be is defending yourself in court on why you had to shoot someone when you had every opportunity to get out of the situation or worse, you instigated.

As to instruction, find an older adult who is a gun enthusiast. Ask the friends your age if they have dad's like that. Then politely ask the dad if he would help. If he is a true enthusiast, he will be glad to as we all have fun showing off our know how...LOL

Both the Glock and the Smith and Wesson poly guns are pretty awesome, reliable and easy. So best bet ? Shoot them at the range and decide to buy.

But keep in mind, safety and a cool head is the top of the list. This is a toy that can kill. and not always the intended target. To shoot another person is LAST resort and I mean last.

You are in your car and someone is banging on the doors to attack you. DRIVE AWAY. Call 911.

They break the glass and attack you trying to drag you from your car which is trapped. No way out. THAT is a self defense situation.

Read up on this stuff and the legal ramification. Target shoot, fine. Self-defense...You need to truly read and understand your own psychology, self-assess. If you have a hot temper, carry may not be for you. If you are a controlled person, then all the better.

Make sense?
"All war must be just the killing of strangers against whom you feel no personal animosity; strangers whom, in other circumstances, you would help if you found them in trouble, and who would help you if you needed it" Mark Twain
rn-cindy Likes This 
Old 06-23-2014, 02:16 PM   #13

Liked 3228 Times on 1928 Posts
Likes Given: 2304

well, i'll start off by saying idk penn. laws at all. but i think mccool gave you some useful info.

i'm NO expert. but i suppose i started my shooting hobby somewhat like you, with very little hands on experience with most firearms.

first, you are off to a good start by asking questions here. take what info you are given and research it for yourself! this board is a good STARTING place. you are very fortunate to have SO much info at your disposal these days. listen to the posters here, even if you disagree. there is vast info given free here!

next, i feel it would really help you to find a few shooting sport enthusiasts to help you along. an investment in a basic firearm safety course can go a long way. idk the requirements for CC in penn., but must CC classes are loaded with info.

when it comes to the handgun you will ultimately buy....remember opinions are like........in the end, you have to do some research and groundwork, if you want to make a good choice, and in the end, the choice is yours. (glock...ugh......j/k they are good guns, but i have MY opinions ).

when it comes to carry....again, you need to make your own choice. will it be pocket carry, iwb, owb.....lots of choices and you need to make a decsion based on YOUR needs. what will you do when you need to check your mail while carrying? what will you do when you want to go have some drinks with some friends? are you prepared to try and solve any problems in the most passive way you can FIRST? are you ready to walk away from every confrontation? at 22, i'm not sure i was level headed enough for CC...but i was a bit slow...maturity wise.

think everything through, and get the best advice and training you can. in the end, it is YOUR responsibility to do so.

*end old man lecture to young whipper snapper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by witness View Post
I live in Pennsylvania, around the Philadelphia area, and I want to buy a handgun. I was thinking either a glock 19 or a witness. Going to the shooting range is a hobby of mine but the bill at the end really adds up when i don't own my own firearm and bullets. Can someone please help me out regarding the process of buying and carrying a handgun (glock or a witness) and bullets (9MM).

Thanks,

Old 06-24-2014, 05:52 AM   #14

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

A glock 19 is great gun to start with if you have a large hand. Most people with average size hands prefer the M&P. The reason I like the glock for beginning shooter any faults in your grip and stance will be magnified by the Glock. The M&P is much more forgiving. The downside is you can have poor form and still shoot an M&P decently. perfect practice makes one better a glock will force you to practice perfectly.

Google why does my Glock shoot to the left. You will find 100's of threads blaming the pistol. When the problem is the shooter had very poor form.

Here is good article on how to make a Glock shoot straight.
http://www.handgunsmag.com/2010/09/24/tactics_training_combatg_100306/

Both the Glock and M&P hold there value very well. If you ever need to sell either pistol you should be able to recover most of your money. Both pistols are highly desirable and you should have no problems working out a private trade for a pistol of equal or greater value.
hawkguy Likes This 
Old 06-24-2014, 01:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
A glock 19 is great gun to start with if you have a large hand.
so is a beretta......

and boy is it purty ("er" than a glock)!
File Type: jpg beretta inox compact 2.jpg (28.9 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by hawkguy; 06-24-2014 at 01:10 PM.
John_Deer Likes This 
Old 06-24-2014, 01:18 PM   #16

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
so is a beretta......

and boy is it purty ("er" than a glock)!
I own a Glock and it is winning me over. But I still refer to the Glock as the Hi Points Austrian cousin. They both are butt ugly in the looks department.
hawkguy Likes This 
Old 06-24-2014, 01:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I own a Glock and it is winning me over. But I still refer to the Glock as the Hi Points Austrian cousin. They both are butt ugly in the looks department.
i've always liked the berretta in looks and function. my compact is one fine lookin, smooth shootin' gun imo. love everything about it. i think it has a lot to do with the fact that the 92 was the first gun i ever owned.

i have a friend who tuned up his glock and that gun shoots amazing! i'll admit, despite my prejudices, that glocks are very good guns.

i would be glad to own a glock....i just wouldn't tell anyone i had it, or take it out in public.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:46 PM   #18

Liked 412 Times on 238 Posts

Default Buying a handgun

Guns you should hold and investigate, in my opinion, are:

- FN FNS9
- A Rock Island 1911 variety
- Steyr C9-A1 or S9-A1
- Glock 19
- Smith M&P Pro
- Ruger SR9c

Last edited by indy36; 06-24-2014 at 04:01 PM.