Buying first weapon, I have a few questions - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Buying first weapon, I have a few questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2008, 11:25 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Let me know if you need/want any pointers. I'm an E-5, soon to be E-6 (december I'm sewing on). I've been in for just over 10 years, and I've seen my fill of bad officers out there. I've also had the pleasure of working with some fine officers as well.

If you have time read a book called: Small Unit Leadership, A Commonsense Approach by Col. Dandridge M. Malone, United States Army (Retired).

A very good book with lots of lessons and practical advice.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:25 AM   #12

I sure will. I'm about to finish reading Leadership and Training for the Fight by MSG Paul Howe.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:37 AM   #13

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

A good book. You'll do just fine. I'm sure you'll make an outstanding officer.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:58 AM   #14

Crispy129 If you really want that FiveseveN I would do the best I could to at the very least put it in a lay away plan ASAP .

I don't know if that thing can defeat soft body armor as they say but if so it will be at the top of any new Banned list the Democrats push through and every shop who has one knows it and will jack the price through the roof after the election if the Democrats are as successful as the polls indicate they will be .

The Dems lead by Obama and Biden will be salivating to get a new assault weapon ban through and this one wont have a sunset clause as the last one did .

Right now the Republicans hold a slim majority in the House and very well may lose it on November 4th , if they do all bets are off when it comes to the 2A and gun ownership in this country .

I can't see them waiting 6 months to a year to push gun control because like Clinton did Obama will want to hit the ground running pushing his Sociali$t agenda through .

Old 10-27-2008, 08:57 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 56 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO01 View Post
Crispy129 If you really want that FiveseveN I would do the best I could to at the very least put it in a lay away plan ASAP .

I don't know if that thing can defeat soft body armor as they say but if so it will be at the top of any new Banned list the Democrats push through and every shop who has one knows it and will jack the price through the roof after the election if the Democrats are as successful as the polls indicate they will be .

The Dems lead by Obama and Biden will be salivating to get a new assault weapon ban through and this one wont have a sunset clause as the last one did .

Right now the Republicans hold a slim majority in the House and very well may lose it on November 4th , if they do all bets are off when it comes to the 2A and gun ownership in this country .

I can't see them waiting 6 months to a year to push gun control because like Clinton did Obama will want to hit the ground running pushing his Sociali$t agenda through .

I have to agree. There is a good chance (if obama gets in) that this is one of many weapons that will be removed from public access.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:13 AM   #16

How long does that crap normally take to actually go into effect and everything though? If I absolutely need to, I'll just buy the FiveseveN and not get any other guns until I get a few LT paychecks under me.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy129 View Post
How long does that crap normally take to actually go into effect and everything though? If I absolutely need to, I'll just buy the FiveseveN and not get any other guns until I get a few LT paychecks under me.
There is no "Normally" that applies , sometimes a President will sign a law that takes effect immediately and others you get a "Window" .

The longest Window I have ever heard of was about 6 weeks or so but I can't recall what Bill or even if it had anything to do with guns .

You don't seem to understand the situation Liberal antis in both Houses have gun bills they introduce every year over and over and I bet Obama has one of his own already written up and ready to go too .

If the Democrats gain control of the House , Senate and Presidency they could have one passed signed and in effect before the end of January if they really wanted to .

Even if they don't act that fast you can bet the prices of all obviously potential weapons to be on the list to double in price if not more .

I talked to one dealer a few years back when Saiga lost their importer , there were all kinds of wild rumor the Rifles had been banned and there was a rush on them Nationwide he said he got a call telling him what was going on he changed his price tags to double the selling price from $300 to $600 and he still sold every one he had in stock within 2 days . When they found a new importer once again the prices dropped to around $300 .

Old 10-28-2008, 05:13 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I almost bought a Thompson, an H&K G3KA4 and a select fire TRW M14 when I was in the army. Instead I blew 3 years of pay on booze and strippers. Not buying those 3 rifles is the only act that I regret in life.

Any plans for becoming a man and attending Jump School, LT?

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Any plans for becoming a man and attending Jump School, LT?
Keep your feet and knees together....

Old 10-28-2008, 11:37 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 56 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy129 View Post
Thanks for the advice on the CZ's, I'll definitely check them out. What's a good price for a CZ, USP .40, FNP, and FiveSeven at a gun show? I assume that's probably one of the cheaper places to get them.
CZ75B goes for 400.00 to 490.00 NEW

HK USP 500.00 to about 999.00 NEW

FN FiveseveN 799.00 to about 1050.00 NEW

Guns shows are not always the best place to buy, but a great place to look at a LOT of guns. The last 3 gunshows I went to were over priced on most autoloaders. Rifles (AK's and AR's) & revolvers were priced to sell.