Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Buy a gun from a friend question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/buy-gun-friend-question-70790/)

Rugers9 08-21-2012 03:15 AM

Buy a gun from a friend question

So a buddy has a gun (handgun) he's getting rid of wants to sell it to me. What steps do we need to take to make this happen?

tacticalfun 08-21-2012 03:18 AM

Take it to an ffl.

Axxe55 08-21-2012 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rugers9 (Post 910475)
So a buddy has a gun (handgun) he's getting rid of wants to sell it to me. What steps do we need to take to make this happen?

most of it will depend on what state you live in and what the laws are regarding face to face private sales. different states, different laws.

okdonk 08-21-2012 03:33 AM

Actually i just sold my Sig 2022 9mm to a local guy days ago. What i did here in Vegas (regardless to a friend or stranger) was:
Make a "Bill of Sale" for each buyer and the seller. Stating the model #, serial #, caliber, make and date. Full name, address, DOB and phone # of both parties. Get the seller to write down his name and sign.
Show each other's Driver License, CCW and surrender the gun's blue card to the buyer.
Buyer gives money and seller says thank you ;).
You can if u want, take pictures of ewch other's Driver License and CCW. Which i did too.

c3shooter 08-21-2012 04:41 AM

All three of the answers above are right- more or less. Sort of. Maybe.

SOME states do not permit direct sales of a handgun between 2 residents of the same state. NC requires you to have a purchase permit even for private sales. Couple of states require transfer take place at the police station. Most do not restrict a face to face sale between 2 residents.

Without knowing what state you are in, we can't give you a valid answer- but doing a transfer THRU a ffl IS legal in all 50 states. May not be required in YOUR state.

But you did not say what state you are in.

Damnit, NOW we'll have to track him down. RELEASE THE HOUNDS!

Gert999 08-21-2012 09:14 AM

Amazingingly that is the one and only advantge to the stupid F*&ing FOID card required in illinois, Bill of sale copy of each other's FOID or at least the info off of the card and your good

Rugers9 08-21-2012 04:39 PM

The great state of Arizona.

sniper762 08-22-2012 01:16 AM

in nc the purchacer must obtain a pistol purchace permit from the sherrif of his county of residence, but the seller is not required to demand it nor to do any paperwork. although it would behoove the seller to get a bill of sales and a state aproved id# for cya.

vincent 08-22-2012 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sniper762 (Post 911319)
in nc the purchacer must obtain a pistol purchace permit from the sherrif of his county of residence, but the seller is not required to demand it nor to do any paperwork. although it would behoove the seller to get a bill of sales and a state aproved id# for cya.

Good answer! I think it's actually a good law just for the cya factor alone...

big shrek 08-22-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rugers9 (Post 910834)
The great state of Arizona.

Arizona has precious few gun laws other than don't sell to a minor, a known criminal or an illegal alien...
and try to only shoot bad guys with 'em ;)

Quick skim info here...Arizona Laws as of 2011
Quote:

Caution: This summary is meant for general purposes only. Firearm laws frequently change and the following answers may not reflect changes in the laws.
Quick Reference: Arizona State Requirements
Rifles and Shotguns
Permit to purchase rifles and shotguns? No
Registration of rifles and shotguns? No
Licensing of owners of rifles and shotguns? No
Permit to carry rifles and shotguns? No

Handguns
Permit to purchase handgun? No
Registration of handguns? No
Licensing of owners of handguns? No
Permit to carry concealed handguns? Yes

Purchase:
It is unlawful to sell or give to a minor, without written consent of the minor's parent or legal guardian, a firearm or ammunition.

No state permit is required to purchase a shotgun, rifle, or handgun.

It is unlawful to sell or transfer a firearm to a "prohibited possessor."