buy the Girlfriend a handgun? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > buy the Girlfriend a handgun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9148 Times on 3950 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

The question asked on the form 4473 in 11 (a) is: Are you the actual purchaser of the firearm? If you read the instructions for question 11(a) on the back of the form, http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf- it tells you that if you are buying it for yourself- OR LEGITIMATELY BUYING IT AS A GIFT FOR A THIRD PARTY- it is not a Straw sale.

Translation. Bobby gives me the money to buy a gun for him. Straw sale.
Bobby is my Best Man at the wedding, and I want to GIVE him a gun as a Groomsman's gift. Federal law (state law, yer own your own) says that you can do that, so long as Bobby and I reside in the same state, and I do not have cause to believe Bobby is prohibited from possessing a gun.

And neither Arizona nor the Federal government has any provision to "register" a gun in anybody's name. The dealer retains the form 4473 at their premises for 20 years.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
The question asked on the form 4473 in 11 (a) is: Are you the actual purchaser of the firearm? If you read the instructions for question 11(a) on the back of the form, http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf- it tells you that if you are buying it for yourself- OR LEGITIMATELY BUYING IT AS A GIFT FOR A THIRD PARTY- it is not a Straw sale.

Translation. Bobby gives me the money to buy a gun for him. Straw sale.
Bobby is my Best Man at the wedding, and I want to GIVE him a gun as a Groomsman's gift. Federal law (state law, yer own your own) says that you can do that, so long as Bobby and I reside in the same state, and I do not have cause to believe Bobby is prohibited from possessing a gun.

And neither Arizona nor the Federal government has any provision to "register" a gun in anybody's name. The dealer retains the form 4473 at their premises for 20 years.
As you said.. its different from state to state. I know for a fact that here in PA it is definitely a "no no".

Before I was married I wanted to purchase a handgun for my wife (girlfriend at the time). I wanted to surprise her. The gentleman at the LGS said i cannot legally GIVE her the gun. And if I brought her to the shop with me, I could not hand her the money to purchase it in their presence.

Funny thing is.. we both have a LTCF. She can take any one of MY pistols and carry it legally, but I cannot gift one to her.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 05-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #13

Liked 2545 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 1976

IMHO, the most important step you can take is BE SURE she

likes to shoot the pistol "you" are "selecting", or you are

wasting a lot of time and money.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #14
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i too would make sure of that it's something that fits her hand and she will be able to operate and use. handguns are more personal than say rifles or shotguns. if trying to suprise her, then say take a day and go to different gunstores if needed and pretend at looking at different handguns for you, but that you are looking for something she could use too. let her gravitate to what pleases her. you might be suprised at what she likes. just act if though you are just looking around. then go back later and then buy it.

in the state of Texas, i can gift a firearm, as long as the person i gift it to could make the same purchase themselves. i have bought several as gifts for my wife and one for my father. both can llegally buy firearms themselves, so there isn't a problem with it being a straw purchase.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #15

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I didn't even think that you could do that anywhere.

Anyhow, I wouldn't buy her the gun for a lot of the reasons listed. Instead I would get her a gift certificate somewhere to buy the gun herself. That way she can pick out what she wants.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #16

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugers9
I want to get her gun. What steps do I need to take to get one in her name without her knowing
I would buy a ring first. I haven't even read the thread, so I don't know if the legalities have been addressed by such wise men as c3 (i did see that he commented) but guns, cars, homes, pets, kids, major credit purchases...come AFTER the ring bro.

But, by all means, there's nothing wrong with pepper spray. I've been blasted and shot (thank god for kevlar), pepper spray scares me more.