Which to buy?!?!?! - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Which to buy?!?!?!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 02:05 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

OK. My wife has a bodyguard. She likes it and is pretty good with it too! My daughter has a 238. She has a little comcern carrying "cocked and locked" and may trade for a bodyguard.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:54 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3733 Times on 2287 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBrown13
Those are the three I've narrowed down for the lady. She does not like recoil much. Was looking for some personal experiences, so thanks. Anyone comment on a j frame .38 special recoil vs a subcompact 9? I imagine it is less than the 9. She does not like the 9 I carry. She likes my beretta though, just too big for her hands, and she is familiar and comfy with the operation, so i thought ppk since it has the decocker/safety. She likes the looks of that and the p238. i have shot that a bunch. super easy to manipulate. The .380s are something she can handle and would have fun shooting.

Just another helpless man hoping to get his woman involved in something he loves....
If you get an air weight J frame the recoil might be a bit sharp. I dunno, I have a K frame and is fairly heavy for a snubbie. Little recoil.

Good Pachmayer or hogue rubber grips would help immensely, though.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #23

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBrown13
Walther PPK, Sig P238, or S&W Model 60 Pro?!?!?!
Which to buy for what? None of these are really hunting or target handguns, so I'm assuming you're interested in them for self defense and concealed carry?

The PPK is a classic firearm and has the cool "James Bond" thing going for it. Its really a bit too large and heavy for pocket carry (the role of most .380 pistols these days) and has a slide mounted safety which a lot of people find slow and difficult to operate during an emergency. Overall, a nice pistol but not a first choice as a CC weapon for most people.

The Sig P238 is an excellent, high quality pocket gun that's popular with a lot of people. It has better than average sights and a great trigger. It is a single action pistol, though and many people are not comfortable carrying a cocked and locked pistol in their pocket. It's also one of the more expensive pocket pistols on the market. So, a good pocket pistol with some reservations.

The S&W Model 60 Pro is a great small carry revolver. The steel frame Model 60 is about the smallest, lightest gun I'd want to shoot full blown .357 mag ammo (most S&W j-frame pistols are alloy frame and so light that shooting magnum ammo is actually painful). Despite being a small frame gun, with the 3 in barrel and steel frame it's not really suited to pocket carry and like the PPK is better in a belt holster. So, a great CC gun if you like revolvers and belt carry.

All three of these can be considered for concealed carry, although all have limitations and drawbacks (as dies any gun you could choose for CC). You just meet to understand the strengths and weaknesses of each.

EDIT: I just saw you are looking for a gun for a recoil sensations female shooter. In that case I would recommend the Model 60 Pro loaded with .38 SPL rounds. I would not recommend a SA pistol to someone presumably new to guns and the Walther, while not a bad choice in terms of recoil has the frame mounted safety (not decocker) which I personally don't care for on a SD gun.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by mdauben; 08-17-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:23 AM   #24

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Cool thanks!

Newest Threads