Bullet Setback?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Bullet Setback?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

Default Bullet Setback?

Ok so I have heard rumors that continually chambering a round can cause bullet setback. Meaning the bullet has moved in the casing and could case damage when fired. I was told just compare the round to others I have not chambered and make sure the bullet has not moved. Typically when I un-chamber a round I put it at the end of the mag. Thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #2

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I am by no means an expert but if your shooting even half decent ammo that should not be a problem.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineverFTF
I am by no means an expert but if your shooting even half decent ammo that should not be a problem.
Thx for reply. Generally these are Hornady crit def and Winchester supreme elite HPs. I like to keep one in the chamber but I also dry fire every day, even if its just 5-10 shots. So this means every day i would chamber the round.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #4

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Ok the only thing i could see happening is shaving a little metal off the bullet every time you chamber it.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #5

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

I've heard of it happening but in almost 30 years of owning guns have not experienced it with factory or hand loads.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 06-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep
I've heard of it happening but in almost 30 years of owning guns have not experienced it with factory or hand loads.
Awesome, thanks for feedback

Old 06-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5681 Times on 2968 Posts
Likes Given: 376

It does happen and it depends on how the gun design in question chambers a round. If it hits the top of the chamber hard it can loosen the crimp over time then the bullet can move forward into the lands by inertia. At that point it can create over pressure and kaboom.

Its not common but it can when a round is chambered over and over. This is often seen with prison guards, police, military, security etc as those individuals tend to chamber the same round day after day for years and never use the ammo.

I had it happen with some high end 380acp sd ammo. Bullet was very loose in the case from chambering repeatedly.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #8

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

I guess it can happen with a lot of re-chambering then. One thing I have seen with my 450 Bushmaster is the opposite. The AR really slams the action closed and if the bullet is not crimped tightly it will actually move forward after only one or 2 chamberings to the point that the round will no longer fit into the magazine. Guns can be funny critters.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 06-11-2012, 03:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
It does happen and it depends on how the gun design in question chambers a round. If it hits the top of the chamber hard it can loosen the crimp over time then the bullet can move forward into the lands by inertia. At that point it can create over pressure and kaboom.

Its not common but it can when a round is chambered over and over. This is often seen with prison guards, police, military, security etc as those individuals tend to chamber the same round day after day for years and never use the ammo.

I had it happen with some high end 380acp sd ammo. Bullet was very loose in the case from chambering repeatedly.
Ok I currently am using a Glock 19. If i do unchamber it that round goes to the back of the mag. Probably never chamber the same round more than 10 times. So im thinking i should be fine. Just wanted the experts opinion and experience. Thank you!

Old 06-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #10

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockRenegade View Post
Ok so I have heard rumors that continually chambering a round can cause bullet setback. Meaning the bullet has moved in the casing and could case damage when fired. I was told just compare the round to others I have not chambered and make sure the bullet has not moved. Typically when I un-chamber a round I put it at the end of the mag. Thoughts?
In this case the rumors are correct. Rotating to the bottom of the mag will help avoid this condition, then rotating carry mags will extend it further and rotating with the rest of your defense ammo supply will extend and help avoid it even further. Once the bullet moves back, it's best to discard it. Although I know of folks who just shoot them off, unless you have a gauge to determine a few thousands from a lot of thousands, it's best when detected by the human eye, just to discards them, or recycle them.

Although the usual cause, repeated chambering, you can get bullet setback by recoil, or just one chambering. This would be unusual and is mostly associated with reloads, but it's something to consider and observe.