Building a handgun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Building a handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2007, 06:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Building a handgun

I just want to know where can I buy the part's and what tools would I need in order to build any type of hand gun. I was looking at a beretta because my friend told me I could build one but he didn't know how to go about doing it. So if anyone knows something about please help me out.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-23-2007, 06:35 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Why are you so stuck on building guns? Buy what you want off the shelf, as the factories tend to be more competent than the average gun enthusiast.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:48 PM   #3

Default Self Satisfaction

I enjoy to use my hands and see what I could do. No need to be defensive. I just love being able to use my hands to build something that is just so powerful.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:08 PM   #4

Are you talking about building from scratch or assembling from parts?
Big difference. If assembling from parts, I would suggest a M1911 service gun. Most of the parts are drop-in with minimum fitting.
If you're talking fom scratch, you will need a lathe and mill for starters.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_30 View Post
I just want to know where can I buy the part's and what tools would I need in order to build any type of hand gun. I was looking at a beretta because my friend told me I could build one but he didn't know how to go about doing it. So if anyone knows something about please help me out.
You would need a barrel. Opinions differ about whether ordinary galvanized water pipe would be able to take the stress of the powder igniting. Soldiers in the field had to know how to construct one. They could not be choosey about their materials, but such a device might not last for more than one or two shots. One should make sure also that the pipe had no cracks in it to start with, and to check for these before every firing. The device should be test fired at least three times before being held for firing.

Then there would be the stock. The barrel would have to be secured so that it did not swing back and take out the user's eye. A stock can be made out of wood.

The back end of the barrel (the breach) would have to be sealed but allow a firing pin to strike the primer. The seal for the breach could be a threaded pipe end used to seal off the end of a water pipe Of course the threads would have to be very tight and secure so that no powder or projected exploded backward through it.

A firing pin could be made from a nail and seated in a hole in the plug sealing the breach end of the barrel.

You would not need a lathe and mill for this assembly, but then it will not be a very good device.

Otherwise, I think Delta Press might have sources of various types of supply.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:02 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Mini30,
Don`t worry, your not the only one that`s nuts. I hand a friend of mine build a .223 revolver on the Ruger frame, of course he buile the frame too so I guess it was really just to their specs. The only peices he could not make were some of the trigger parts and Ruger would not sell them to him as he was not a gun smith so he took what he needed from another gun. He still has all the parts for the gun except the one he could make, but he put the Ruger back to gether and sold it. Last year he made a corn stove since he could not find one built the way he wanted it. I don`t know what this winters project will be, , maybe a rocket, he hasn`t gotten into them yet.

Catfish
Ohio