bryco 38 .380
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > bryco 38 .380

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 03:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default bryco 38 .380

Ok...question for those of you with way more time and experience with handguns than I.

I received one of these in a trade. I have shot it, stripped it, inspected it...and I also know that it was serviced by the manufacturer and had only had about 20 rounds through it since that time.

With that said I have heard horrible things about this brand....are these things as bad as everyone makes then out to be?

This was thrown in to Sweeten the deal of a trade so I am not out anything on it...just curious to hear from some of you about it.

forumrunner_20130706_235523.jpg

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-07-2013, 04:11 AM   #2

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Bryco was one of the Ring of Fire manufacturers.

The "Ring of Fire" was the area where all the "Saturday Night Special" companies were located. Of course, all of them made cheap handguns (except Jennings made one model of .22 rifle), that have notoriously shoddy reputations. Some who own the guns say they're not so bad, others say they wouldn't even take one as free (such a statement is asinine IMO). The one you have may not be that bad. The bigger guns made (.32 and .380) didn't have as bad a reputation as the .25s and .22s.
It's actually a neat history behind the Ring of Fire companies and their designs based off each other.

Oh yeah, I think Bryco is now Vulcan Arms (they don't have much better of a reputation, but they are known for their cheap .50 cal)

^ scratch that, Vulcan arms was Hesse, it was compared to Bryco.

Last edited by Gizord1; 07-07-2013 at 04:15 AM.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:28 AM   #3

Liked 1795 Times on 1000 Posts
Likes Given: 1175

Bryco, Jennings and Jimenez are all the same gun. I own a J-22. I have owned 2 of them. I have also owed the 380 and the 9mm. My problems were little things like plastic indicators to tell that the firing pin is cocked or the chamber is loaded. The little plastic parts would go flying at the range. I traded them in on better guns as I started to make better money.

If someone has the money to buy a Ruger but is cheap and buys a Jennings instead I would say they are an idiot. If someone simply can not afford something better, I would say make the best of what you can afford. If that is a Jennings take care of it. But for a few bucks more you could buy a High Point, which is a big step up.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:01 AM   #4

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Never met a Bryco that I liked. Ifd I didn't need them I"d use them as trade fodder.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-07-2013, 08:00 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2771 Times on 1605 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

While some may be okay to shoot, I would not expect it to hold up to my amount of regular range shooting.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #6

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Great comments everyone! Pretty much all what I expected to hear. As far as range goes....if I kept it....it would def. Not be a range gun....hell, I don't know what I would use it for...lol

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton