Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   bryco 38 .380 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/bryco-38-380-a-93492/)

apwvsd40ve 07-07-2013 03:55 AM

bryco 38 .380

1 Attachment(s)
Ok...question for those of you with way more time and experience with handguns than I.

I received one of these in a trade. I have shot it, stripped it, inspected it...and I also know that it was serviced by the manufacturer and had only had about 20 rounds through it since that time.

With that said I have heard horrible things about this brand....are these things as bad as everyone makes then out to be?

This was thrown in to Sweeten the deal of a trade so I am not out anything on it...just curious to hear from some of you about it.

Attachment 109199

Gizord1 07-07-2013 04:11 AM

Bryco was one of the Ring of Fire manufacturers.

The "Ring of Fire" was the area where all the "Saturday Night Special" companies were located. Of course, all of them made cheap handguns (except Jennings made one model of .22 rifle), that have notoriously shoddy reputations. Some who own the guns say they're not so bad, others say they wouldn't even take one as free (such a statement is asinine IMO). The one you have may not be that bad. The bigger guns made (.32 and .380) didn't have as bad a reputation as the .25s and .22s.
It's actually a neat history behind the Ring of Fire companies and their designs based off each other.

Oh yeah, I think Bryco is now Vulcan Arms (they don't have much better of a reputation, but they are known for their cheap .50 cal)

^ scratch that, Vulcan arms was Hesse, it was compared to Bryco.

Rick1967 07-07-2013 04:28 AM

Bryco, Jennings and Jimenez are all the same gun. I own a J-22. I have owned 2 of them. I have also owed the 380 and the 9mm. My problems were little things like plastic indicators to tell that the firing pin is cocked or the chamber is loaded. The little plastic parts would go flying at the range. I traded them in on better guns as I started to make better money.

If someone has the money to buy a Ruger but is cheap and buys a Jennings instead I would say they are an idiot. If someone simply can not afford something better, I would say make the best of what you can afford. If that is a Jennings take care of it. But for a few bucks more you could buy a High Point, which is a big step up.

DrumJunkie 07-07-2013 05:01 AM

Never met a Bryco that I liked. Ifd I didn't need them I"d use them as trade fodder.

danf_fl 07-07-2013 08:00 AM

While some may be okay to shoot, I would not expect it to hold up to my amount of regular range shooting.

apwvsd40ve 07-07-2013 12:15 PM

Great comments everyone! Pretty much all what I expected to hear. As far as range goes....if I kept it....it would def. Not be a range gun....hell, I don't know what I would use it for...lol