Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > browning HiPower with attachable wooden stock?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2009, 05:38 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default browning HiPower with attachable wooden stock?

A nice dude on the car forum i frequent inherited a browning HiPower 9mm from his dad. He doesn't want to sell it, but is curious about the value, presumably for insurance.

He mentioned that it attached to its holster like a detachable stock. From what the Wikipedia site says, that feature was discontinued after WW2. I am wondering about his legal situation/requirements with that pistol. Isn't the attachable stock a NONO, like a short barrel rifle? He is in California. I don't think there is much paperwork with the gun.

His father also left him a couple of other pistols (mauser & a walther) & a few rifles which he has to share with a sibling.

edit* Info he posted: Mauser HSC "01.32532" 9mm Short, Browning 9mm HiPower "8031" made in Herstal Belgium (Not sure exactly what model it is, but the gun does attach to its wooden case), Walther P38/P1 9mm "241494" "1494" "2/64" (has the orginal box that says it wasa West German Police Trade-In). And some rifles: Top-Remington Model 34, Winchester Model 94-30 WCF-"1249238", Not sure what the 2nd from the bottom is, & Browning Bar-22 Semi-Auto rifle.

pics he posted

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 10-10-2009 at 06:07 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-10-2009, 06:07 PM   #2

Liked 83 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Do not ever, in California, be out somewhere with the shoulder stock attached.
If you take it out to shoot it, do not take the shoulder stock with you. There is not much more I can say or make it any more clear than that.
Yes, it would be a short barreled rifle when the two are together !!!!!

Jim...............

I posted before the pics loaded. I don't think, by looking at the photo that it has an attachment location for a shoulder stock. Although I can't see if the backstrap is slotted......

Last edited by masterPsmith; 10-10-2009 at 06:14 PM.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:13 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

How safe/legal do you think he would be if both were displayed on his wall or in a display case? Honestly, he doesn't strike me as the type to put them to much use, not the pistols anyway.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.