Browning Hi Power - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Browning Hi Power

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 11:49 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum
So why do I rarely see this gun mentioned on this forum? Where are all you Browning fans? I'd pass up a table full of modern 9mm's to get to a 50 year old Browning.
I've never actually owned one, but my brother used to have a new 9mm Browning. I thought it was a sweet gun and I've lusted after one a bit fore years. If I had more money to spend on guns I'd definitely have one in my safe, but I just can't justify one to myself when I have a perfectly good Glock 17 that does everything I need in a full size SD gun fore several hundred less than a new Hi Power.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:17 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
I've never actually owned one, but my brother used to have a new 9mm Browning. I thought it was a sweet gun and I've lusted after one a bit fore years. If I had more money to spend on guns I'd definitely have one in my safe, but I just can't justify one to myself when I have a perfectly good Glock 17 that does everything I need in a full size SD gun fore several hundred less than a new Hi Power.
Nothing wrong with HP clones, F E G, Kareens, all make good ones, check Sarco.com for good buys.

Last edited by Gatoragn; 06-17-2013 at 01:41 AM.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:17 AM   #13

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I keep one Belgian Hi-Power with a fitted 6" ported barrel. It is special and they feel as though they were designed for my hand with the original walnut grips. I have a Pachmayr grip on it now but am putting black plastic and a thin rubber wrap on it soon.

With 124 gr. NATO it has to be my current "there can be only one."

browning-hi-power-w-6-inch-ported-barrel-ii.jpg  

Last edited by HockaLouis; 06-17-2013 at 12:20 AM.
towboater Likes This 
Old 06-17-2013, 03:23 AM   #14

Liked 285 Times on 247 Posts

I've heard/read nothing but the best about the Hi-powers and am inclined to believe it all, but I'm a compact only guy. Can't stand full sized guns, they're oversized to me, but I don't see any purpose for them in my life, guns are tools to me, and thus must be concealable.

And, if I'm being honest, they're hideous. But that's just a matter of taste. I think Glocks are gorgeous and most think they look like bricks which apparently isn't good. Lol

Old 06-17-2013, 03:28 AM   #15

Liked 2109 Times on 1242 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
I've heard/read nothing but the best about the Hi-powers and am inclined to believe it all, but I'm a compact only guy. Can't stand full sized guns, they're oversized to me, but I don't see any purpose for them in my life, guns are tools to me, and thus must be concealable.

And, if I'm being honest, they're hideous. But that's just a matter of taste. I think Glocks are gorgeous and most think they look like bricks which apparently isn't good. Lol
The Argentines made a compact high power clone. you might find it interesting. Made by FM (Yep, they even tried coming close to cloning FN in name.)

Old 06-17-2013, 03:39 AM   #16

Liked 4715 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1442

Probably because as good a gun as the Hi Power is... It's marketing efforts are abysmal...

I've not seen a new Hi Power add in at least a decade and I personally think it's due to CZ's upswing and success in the US market.

I've shot dozens of Hi Powers and the are very comparable in every way to the CZ75b... which the Chek's seem to be able to produce and sell at a price point that I doubt Browning could compete with.

Tack

Old 06-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #17

Liked 2450 Times on 1396 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Probably because as good a gun as the Hi Power is... It's marketing efforts are abysmal...

I've not seen a new Hi Power add in at least a decade and I personally think it's due to CZ's upswing and success in the US market.

I've shot dozens of Hi Powers and the are very comparable in every way to the CZ75b... which the Chek's seem to be able to produce and sell at a price point that I doubt Browning could compete with.

Tack
Yeah,but yanno, being a collector, I want one of each,,,

Old 07-06-2013, 01:52 AM   #18

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Little bit of BHP love here

One from the 70's, 80's and 90's.

The Competition model is easily my favourite though the GP Sport is easily the best looking.

Would love to get a brushed chrome model soon.