Browning Hi Power
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Browning Hi Power

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 05:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1142 Times on 592 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default Browning Hi Power

While I've made no secret of the fact that I'm not a fan of the 9mm, the best balanced automatic I've ever shot was the Browning Hi Power. I've owned four of them in my life: two 9mm, one Inglis (a Canadian copy of the Hi Power built during WWII), and a later model Hi Power in .40 caliber. Except for the last one, I've eventually sold or traded them away for two reasons: (1) they were 9mm; and (2) the triggers felt sloppy when compared to that of a 1911. Although a purist might object to the .40 Hi Power, I liked the caliber and the trigger was a lot better than on other models I'd owned -- I bought it used, so someone may have had a trigger job done on it, or the new guns just have lighter triggers than the old ones. I was sorry that circumstances made it necessary to sell that one.

It was one of the first, if not the first, of the high capacity 9's. It felt good enough in my hand that even though I don't care for the caliber overmuch, I kept going back to 'em.

So why do I rarely see this gun mentioned on this forum? Where are all you Browning fans? I'd pass up a table full of modern 9mm's to get to a 50 year old Browning.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-16-2013, 05:22 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
While I've made no secret of the fact that I'm not a fan of the 9mm, the best balanced automatic I've ever shot was the Browning Hi Power. I've owned four of them in my life: two 9mm, one Inglis (a Canadian copy of the Hi Power built during WWII), and a later model Hi Power in .40 caliber. Except for the last one, I've eventually sold or traded them away for two reasons: (1) they were 9mm; and (2) the triggers felt sloppy when compared to that of a 1911. Although a purist might object to the .40 Hi Power, I liked the caliber and the trigger was a lot better than on other models I'd owned -- I bought it used, so someone may have had a trigger job done on it, or the new guns just have lighter triggers than the old ones. I was sorry that circumstances made it necessary to sell that one.

It was one of the first, if not the first, of the high capacity 9's. It felt good enough in my hand that even though I don't care for the caliber overmuch, I kept going back to 'em.

So why do I rarely see this gun mentioned on this forum? Where are all you Browning fans? I'd pass up a table full of modern 9mm's to get to a 50 year old Browning.
I have shot many a high power, I just don't have the cash for one right now. Probably one of my favorite shooting pistols ever though.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:36 AM   #3

Liked 1142 Times on 592 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post
I have shot many a high power, I just don't have the cash for one right now. Probably one of my favorite shooting pistols ever though.
Yep, if I ever win the lottery there's gonna be a lot of happy gun dealers.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:49 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2008 Times on 1380 Posts
Likes Given: 766

The 9mm has it's downside but for a fun gun the 9mm is hard to beat. Last summer I was getting aguilia 9mm ammo for $8 a box. The 9mm enabled me to do a lot of shooting that I wouldn't have done with a 40 cal. I don't think we will see $8 9mm ammo again but $10 is very likely. Unless you shoot reloads with homemade cast bullets you won't find 40 cal ammo @ $10 for 50 rounds.

I don't know why we don't have more browning fans. Lots of people here like Kimbers and CZ's. Both are in the same price range as a high power. Personally I love Browning rifles and shotguns but the High Power never got on my radar. I would make a deal with the devil to buy another BAR made in Belgium. I will leave any High Powers I run across for the txpossum.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 06-16-2013, 06:11 AM   #5

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I have been trying to deal with a fellow on a nice Canadian Inglis. The pistol has a properly marked legal Canadian stock with a dozen issue magazines holster and wood storage case. I like the WWII stocked handguns.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:35 AM   #6

Liked 2603 Times on 1480 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
Yep, if I ever win the lottery there's gonna be a lot of happy gun dealers.
If ANY of us hits the lottery, there's going to be

a lot of happy gun dealers...

The GP35 has been on my short list for years. I just never

found one up to my rather persnickety standards for a

decent price.

Last edited by therewolf; 06-16-2013 at 06:40 AM.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3049 Times on 1753 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

We do have a section in the semi-autos.

I have the Argentine clone of the Hi-Power (made under contract).

After doing some typical HP mods, I have found it to be fairly decent in range sessions.

Take another look at them.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #8

Liked 757 Times on 483 Posts
Likes Given: 238

I am not into newer guns(certainly not plastic ones). I got an old Hi-Power many years ago(just for historical reasons). It is a nice gun that shoots very well.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2024 Times on 1199 Posts
Likes Given: 990

The 'new' generation MUST have the 'newest stuff'! You can't tell them the old stuff is not only as good, and in some cases better, than the new 'stuff'!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 06-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2270 Times on 1235 Posts
Likes Given: 668

The Hi power is very nice gun but I have the same problem with it as I do with the 1911. They are too heavy. Due to an injury, I cant carry much more than 30 oz on my belt with out additional support. A CZ75P07 weighs about the same loaded as an HP empty. For me it would be a range or night stand gun and I prefer to shoot my defense weapons to stay tuned.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.