Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Browning Hi Power (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/browning-hi-power-92377/)

txpossum 06-16-2013 04:14 AM

Browning Hi Power

While I've made no secret of the fact that I'm not a fan of the 9mm, the best balanced automatic I've ever shot was the Browning Hi Power. I've owned four of them in my life: two 9mm, one Inglis (a Canadian copy of the Hi Power built during WWII), and a later model Hi Power in .40 caliber. Except for the last one, I've eventually sold or traded them away for two reasons: (1) they were 9mm; and (2) the triggers felt sloppy when compared to that of a 1911. Although a purist might object to the .40 Hi Power, I liked the caliber and the trigger was a lot better than on other models I'd owned -- I bought it used, so someone may have had a trigger job done on it, or the new guns just have lighter triggers than the old ones. I was sorry that circumstances made it necessary to sell that one.

It was one of the first, if not the first, of the high capacity 9's. It felt good enough in my hand that even though I don't care for the caliber overmuch, I kept going back to 'em.

So why do I rarely see this gun mentioned on this forum? Where are all you Browning fans? I'd pass up a table full of modern 9mm's to get to a 50 year old Browning.

95sniper 06-16-2013 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpossum (Post 1277742)
While I've made no secret of the fact that I'm not a fan of the 9mm, the best balanced automatic I've ever shot was the Browning Hi Power. I've owned four of them in my life: two 9mm, one Inglis (a Canadian copy of the Hi Power built during WWII), and a later model Hi Power in .40 caliber. Except for the last one, I've eventually sold or traded them away for two reasons: (1) they were 9mm; and (2) the triggers felt sloppy when compared to that of a 1911. Although a purist might object to the .40 Hi Power, I liked the caliber and the trigger was a lot better than on other models I'd owned -- I bought it used, so someone may have had a trigger job done on it, or the new guns just have lighter triggers than the old ones. I was sorry that circumstances made it necessary to sell that one.

It was one of the first, if not the first, of the high capacity 9's. It felt good enough in my hand that even though I don't care for the caliber overmuch, I kept going back to 'em.

So why do I rarely see this gun mentioned on this forum? Where are all you Browning fans? I'd pass up a table full of modern 9mm's to get to a 50 year old Browning.

I have shot many a high power, I just don't have the cash for one right now. Probably one of my favorite shooting pistols ever though.

txpossum 06-16-2013 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95sniper (Post 1277749)
I have shot many a high power, I just don't have the cash for one right now. Probably one of my favorite shooting pistols ever though.

Yep, if I ever win the lottery there's gonna be a lot of happy gun dealers.

John_Deer 06-16-2013 04:49 AM

The 9mm has it's downside but for a fun gun the 9mm is hard to beat. Last summer I was getting aguilia 9mm ammo for $8 a box. The 9mm enabled me to do a lot of shooting that I wouldn't have done with a 40 cal. I don't think we will see $8 9mm ammo again but $10 is very likely. Unless you shoot reloads with homemade cast bullets you won't find 40 cal ammo @ $10 for 50 rounds.

I don't know why we don't have more browning fans. Lots of people here like Kimbers and CZ's. Both are in the same price range as a high power. Personally I love Browning rifles and shotguns but the High Power never got on my radar. I would make a deal with the devil to buy another BAR made in Belgium. I will leave any High Powers I run across for the txpossum.

nitestalker 06-16-2013 05:11 AM

I have been trying to deal with a fellow on a nice Canadian Inglis. The pistol has a properly marked legal Canadian stock with a dozen issue magazines holster and wood storage case. I like the WWII stocked handguns. :D

therewolf 06-16-2013 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpossum (Post 1277757)
Yep, if I ever win the lottery there's gonna be a lot of happy gun dealers.

If ANY of us hits the lottery, there's going to be

a lot of happy gun dealers...:D

The GP35 has been on my short list for years. I just never

found one up to my rather persnickety standards for a

decent price.

danf_fl 06-16-2013 08:05 AM

We do have a section in the semi-autos.

I have the Argentine clone of the Hi-Power (made under contract).

After doing some typical HP mods, I have found it to be fairly decent in range sessions.

Take another look at them.

hiwall 06-16-2013 12:45 PM

I am not into newer guns(certainly not plastic ones). I got an old Hi-Power many years ago(just for historical reasons). It is a nice gun that shoots very well.

JimRau 06-16-2013 01:23 PM

The 'new' generation MUST have the 'newest stuff'! You can't tell them the old stuff is not only as good, and in some cases better, than the new 'stuff'!!! :rolleyes:

JTJ 06-16-2013 02:26 PM

The Hi power is very nice gun but I have the same problem with it as I do with the 1911. They are too heavy. Due to an injury, I cant carry much more than 30 oz on my belt with out additional support. A CZ75P07 weighs about the same loaded as an HP empty. For me it would be a range or night stand gun and I prefer to shoot my defense weapons to stay tuned.