Brother Can You Spare a Magazine - Page 8
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Brother Can You Spare a Magazine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #71
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Here's your fictional scenario. Imagine being there with a 5 shot revolver and no spare ammo.

Quote:
Police say four masked and armed suspects entered the McDonald's restaurant on Reid Street just before midnight Tuesday and shot an employee, according to the Palatka Police Department.
Story Link
wizard63 Likes This 
Old 05-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #72

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

"I sure wish I had less ammo" said nobody in a bad situation ever lol
People Like This 
Old 05-25-2013, 10:53 PM   #73

Liked 295 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Here's your fictional scenario. Imagine being there with a 5 shot revolver and no spare ammo.

Story Link
Four guys, five perfectly placed shots, sounds doable to me. Lol one left for am innocent bystander, just for good measure...
People Like This 
Old 05-25-2013, 11:45 PM   #74

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:

Story Link
And as though we begged someone for a psychotic example, here's one...

Do you expect someone with ANY number of rounds of ammo to preemptively engage four gunmen? Do you think they aren't all going to be running, if they can, when the first through fifth shots have reactively been going off? Of course everyone wouldn't mind more ammo. How about one gun in each hand? A bullet proof vest? An armed body guard with me at all times? Maybe we should never leave the house!?

Seems to me Rambo wasn't half as tough as these deathly-afraid men come off being. I know they scare the bejesus out of me!

Old 05-25-2013, 11:47 PM   #75
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattShlock View Post
Do you expect someone with ANY number of rounds of ammo to preemptively engage four gunmen?
Did you bother to read the story?

Old 05-26-2013, 12:20 AM   #76

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:

Story Link
In the story no one but employees in the store. And no one allowed to have a gun.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:21 AM   #77
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
And no one allowed to have a gun.
What do you do, make this stuff up as you go along? I didn't see that in the story.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #78
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1314 Times on 728 Posts
Likes Given: 570

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
There's too fine a line here between p's -- prepared and paranoid.

Up to me? I'd watch the folk with multiple mags and disarm the CCW's with a backup gun and anyone open-carrying in "downtown."
Really?

You want to watch people who carry two inanimate objects that hold bullets and disarm people who carry one more of something than you approve of and disarm people who carry something in a way that virtually all law enforcement officers and military personnel carry and put them on "no-fly" lists? Should law enforcement officers be on no-fly lists? LEO's generally open carry, have more than 1 magazine, and some carry a backup too.

Although I don't carry a backup gun and seldom carry a spare magazine, I don't fault anyone who does. There is no correlation between the probability of a circumstance and the consequences of the outcome, so far as I know.

If the person carrying the pistol or pistols and magazine or magazines hasn't broken any laws, then what the hell does it matter if he/she has one, two, or ten of something?

Is there a correlation between having a spare magazine or pistol and the propensity to commit a crime with the spare magazine or pistol, given the actor was not a criminal to begin with?

If carrying a spare magazine or pistol is equivalent to being a criminal, then is it safe to assert that all police officers and military personnel are criminals?

What level of paranoia do you have to have that you find it necessary to disarm people who aren't armed in the same manner that you are?

Why does it matter to you whether or not someone else shares your sensibilities about being armed or not?

Maybe we should watch you a little closer since you want to disarm people based on what they're carrying instead of how they are behaving.
People Like This 
Old 05-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #79

Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
Really?

You want to watch people who carry two inanimate objects that hold bullets and disarm people who carry one more of something than you approve of and disarm people who carry something in a way that virtually all law enforcement officers and military personnel carry and put them on "no-fly" lists?

Yes, please.

Should law enforcement officers be on no-fly lists? LEO's generally open carry, have more than 1 magazine, and some carry a backup too.

You are embarrassing yourself there, maybe trolling.

Although I don't carry a backup gun and seldom carry a spare magazine, I don't fault anyone who does.

There is no correlation between the probability of a circumstance and the consequences of the outcome, so far as I know.

OK, so you don't know. Of course there is a correlation -- that's what much of this is about; what the walking-armories' defense is. No play on words intended, again, but the salient point is whether or not a rational person should be armed for every insanely potential situation vs. most-probable-however-still-unlikely. If there were no correlation between any given circumstance you could find yourself in and its outcome than it wouldn't matter what kind of gun you carry -- a single shot flintlock pocket pistol would be about as useful as a 20+1 round Five-seveN.

If the person carrying the pistol or pistols and magazine or magazines hasn't broken any laws, then what the hell does it matter if he/she has one, two, or ten of something?

Because it quickly begins to speak volumes as to the reasonableness of the carrying individual. Are you seriously taking the position that someone concealing 10 handguns on their person doesn't have a problem? That they're as normal, judicious, and safe a member of the community as you yourself would claim (anyway) to be!?

Is there a correlation between having a spare magazine or pistol and the propensity to commit a crime with the spare magazine or pistol, given the actor was not a criminal to begin with?

You tell me.

If carrying a spare magazine or pistol is equivalent to being a criminal, then is it safe to assert that all police officers and military personnel are criminals?

You keep going to drink from this embarrassing well when you know full well we aren't talking about the LEO's or soldiers you are preoccupied with, but talking more about the kooks who want or need to pretend they are by carrying like one. Once again, you are missing the key point. Or trolling...

What level of paranoia do you have to have that you find it necessary to disarm people who aren't armed in the same manner that you are?

So common sense and laws are paranoia, if only when you want to do something else -- interesting, antisocial, philosophy. I personally think people should be watched and disarmed when their very own actions demonstrate that they are mentally unstable, a danger to themselves and others. Apparently we'll have to "agree to disagree" on that.

Why does it matter to you whether or not someone else shares your sensibilities about being armed or not?

It doesn't until it seems to reach the level of wannabe cop, Rambo, gangsta and/or paranoid who I feel is more a danger than benefit to the community, i.e. a civillian who is always carrying multiple reloads and backup weapons including more than one firearm, maybe a tactical light and knife, on their Bat Utility Belt (and any paracord anywhere) everywhere they go. Yeah, I'd really like to know who these people are if only because they are not welcome at my home...

Maybe we should watch you a little closer since you want to disarm people based on what they're carrying instead of how they are behaving.

Well, my friend, isn't how and what you're armed with every time you walk out the door "behavior"!?

Responses in large detail above kido...

"Hun, I'm running to the deli -- do we need milk?"
glock-full-auto.jpg  

Last edited by HockaLouis; 05-26-2013 at 08:28 PM.
MattShlock Likes This 
Old 05-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #80

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
What do you do, make this stuff up as you go along? I didn't see that in the story.
No, not made up. I know the store policy there. Employees are not allowed to carry a weapon and are told to hand over the money with no confrontation. It's a company policy. I have a buddy that is a district mgr for that company. Look to see how many have been fired for trying to stop a robbery in a McD's without a weapon even. The cash is insured and they honestly don't care about human resources.

Last edited by DrumJunkie; 05-26-2013 at 06:04 PM.