Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Brother Can You Spare a Magazine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 12:54 AM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Have any of you seen the dash cam video from Ohio where it took 19 shoots from a 9mm to finally kill the guy and you think your 5 shot revolver is all you need what if there were 2 or 3 perps trying to kill or rob u your stress level is gonna be through the roof and your not gonna be like you are shooting paper FBI stats show that with all there training 90 percent of the time they were shooting one handed spray and praying so ill keep my Glock 30 10+1 and a spare 13 rounder in my pocket but that's just me I guess I pray none of us ever have to use them but if I do I wanna come out on top

Old 05-23-2013, 10:14 PM   #62

Liked 2184 Times on 1253 Posts
Likes Given: 1770

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattieb View Post
Have any of you seen the dash cam video from Ohio where it took 19 shoots from a 9mm to finally kill the guy and you think your 5 shot revolver is all you need what if there were 2 or 3 perps trying to kill or rob u your stress level is gonna be through the roof and your not gonna be like you are shooting paper FBI stats show that with all there training 90 percent of the time they were shooting one handed spray and praying so ill keep my Glock 30 10+1 and a spare 13 rounder in my pocket but that's just me I guess I pray none of us ever have to use them but if I do I wanna come out on top
I'm probably not going to come out on top if I'm

attacked by three or more BGs at once. I can live

(or die) with that. I also refuse to die a thousand deaths

worrying about all the "what ifs", when I've never had to

draw in defense, ever, yet, in 54 years.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:00 AM   #63
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!

Liked 2072 Times on 1429 Posts
Likes Given: 433

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf

I'm probably not going to come out on top if I'm

attacked by three or more BGs at once. I can live

(or die) with that. I also refuse to die a thousand deaths

worrying about all the "what ifs", when I've never had to

draw in defense, ever, yet, in 54 years.
Other then shooting an SMG out the door of the Aircraft when I had to(several times, trust me,..more then 0 times is too many!) If I get jumped by ANYONE I have built in Back-up In DW and whatever she may be carrying(Either her Ruger LCR or SP 101) and thats if I have already run through 3 dozen rounds, which I Doubt will happen short of an SHTF event,..in which case we go to the 20 Ga. Semi Auto in the SUV or what I have here in CASA De Dr. Football....

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 05-25-2013, 08:22 AM   #64

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I can certainly see both sides of this issue. What I don't get is the ammount of disdain some people seem to hold for opposing view points. If a person wants to carry a backup gun or extra mags what does it matter to you? I'm no cowboy and I rarely carry an extra mag but if I did I'm suprised to see how dumb of choice that is to some people. Can't we all just get along.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #65
Lifetime Supporting Member

Liked 1719 Times on 970 Posts
Likes Given: 1295

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellman20 View Post
I can certainly see both sides of this issue. What I don't get is the ammount of disdain some people seem to hold for opposing view points. If a person wants to carry a backup gun or extra mags what does it matter to you? I'm no cowboy and I rarely carry an extra mag but if I did I'm suprised to see how dumb of choice that is to some people. Can't we all just get along.
Wow. Only your third post here and you hit the nail right on the head. Good eyes. The problem as I see it is respect. With the anonymity of the internet people don't bother trying to earn the respect or others. They feel they can be just as nasty as they want to be without repercussion. It's a shame.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. If you haven't been there yet, stop by the introductions thread and tell us a little about yourself.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #66

Liked 257 Times on 227 Posts

Quote:
I don't see any disdain at all, and I think a lot is read into simple expression, as well as a lot is embellished to make a point. I think it stands to reason that people are free to make their choice to carry and do as they wish. I wouldn't know if you're carrying an extra mag or not, nor would I care. All I see here is people of opposing views trying to understand, but failing miserably! Lol
Old 05-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #67

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

I'm supprissed how many are missing the point of the article.

Carrying an extra mag is about being able to overcome a failure of some sort or a failed/damaged mag. Yes the extra ammo is a benefit as well, but being prepared to overcome a bad situation is paramount.

Last edited by simpkinst; 05-25-2013 at 04:18 PM.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #68

Liked 257 Times on 227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpkinst View Post

Carrying an extra mag is about being able to overcome a failure of some sort or a failed/damaged mag. Yes the extra ammo is a benefit as well, but being prepared to overcome a bad situation is paramount.
I don't think anyone missed the point, we simply disagree with it, fundamentally. I myself pointed out why specifically I do.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #69

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
No disdain on my part. I merely gave an opinion that was based on my personal experiences in self defense situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpkinst View Post

People can carry them if they want. I really don't have much opinion on it. But there is no replacement for proper inspection and maintenance of equipment that you ( God forbid) may need to call upon to save your bacon. Extra mags, BUGs, is all extra weight and bulk I just don't see necessary for a trip to Walmart to get some food and a pair of pants. I rely in situational awareness to try very hard to not p9ut myself in places where I might need all that equipment. I'm not a cop. I probably have no business in those places. This allows me to not fall victim to every possible event that "could happen"

I lived in a bigger cities when I had to use a weapon to defend myself. And I didn't need the full mag in my 1911. I live in the country now. I figure I'll need even less.

Bottom line is you have to be able to trust your weapon 100%. You have to be able to trust in the training you have done. If you can't you need another weapon and you need more training. More ammo and backups will not help you more than likely. This comes form personal experience, not form articles.

People are free to do as they please though. I have no dog in their fight. As for me I'm not going to carry the extra bulk and weight unless I feel a need. But I'm also one of those idiots that sees it a much more important need to be able to be effective with a handgun at a distance well over the 21 feet many seem to be important. So my opinion probably doesn't mean a whole lot.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

wizard63 Likes This 
Old 05-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #70

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan View Post
+1 revolvers. If your "magazine" fails, you've got bigger issues than a jam.
I agree that a revolver doesn't jam as a semi auto would.. Most military and local law enforcement agencies Carry semi autoloaders & ALSO carry back up/extra mags, not because of failure but I bad situations you could easily find yourself with more than 10 B.G's or targets. I would just like an extra mag for peace of mind if nothing else. Just sharing my thoughts & I know you may disagree, but that's ok. We are Americans!