Brother Can You Spare a Magazine - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Brother Can You Spare a Magazine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan View Post
Downtown is where all the crime occurs. That's the MOST rational place to carry.
No it isn't -- "downtown" in America implies a city's thriving commercial and cultural area, not its slums. It is where you're more likely to see captains of industry and power-brokers than police officers and someone getting strongarmed. And if you open-carry (I wrote) in either I think you're off.

I would have thought the Army settled this issue in 1911 but if you fellas are so concerned about a semi-auto magazine's reliability that you need a spare then get a damned revolver. If you'll admit that's not enough "power" for you, that you're overly fearful and/or angry, or it's more an excuse to play "cops and robbers" then get some help. As for a backup gun on you? You simply need to be on the "no fly list" IMO!

Old 05-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #52

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
No it isn't -- "downtown" in America implies a city's thriving commercial and cultural area, not its slums. It is where you're more likely to see captains of industry and power-brokers than police officers and someone getting strongarmed. And if you open-carry (I wrote) in either I think you're off.

I would have thought the Army settled this issue in 1911 but if you fellas are so concerned about a semi-auto magazine's reliability that you need a spare then get a damned revolver. If you'll admit that's not enough "power" for you, that you're overly fearful and/or angry, or it's more an excuse to play "cops and robbers" then get some help. As for a backup gun on you? You simply need to be on the "no fly list" IMO!
Most people who carry a gun for a living have an spare magazine along with a backup gun. Most of the time I just carry a P-3AT. The little Kel Tec is very reliable but **** happens. My pocket holster has a slot for a spare magazine. Why not use it? The P-3AT, spare magazine and 12 rounds of ammo are lighter than my old Charter 357 or my SP-101. Don't get me wrong! I would much rather have the 357 if things get sideways. But the .380 is better than a rock.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:50 AM   #53

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Quote:

Check with your local PD for crime stats. They may even be available online. I've checked 'em and city CENTERS and surrounding areas have the highest levels of crime. You've noticed that downtown seems to be where all the homeless congregate?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 05-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #54

Liked 206 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

I have to agree that Downtown areas are where most crimes are committed. I believe it was Willy Sutton when asked why he robbed banks said "That's were the money is"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Sutton

Jim

Old 05-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2283 Times on 1357 Posts
Likes Given: 1227

Some of the things I have learned from two combat tours in RVN and 30+++ years in LE are:
1. You have NO way of knowing when or where the S will HTF!
2. You have NO way of knowing how much 'force' will be required to survive and prevail.
If you wish to be prepared for the 'worse case scenario' you will encounter during 'normal' everyday activities you should probably carry at least one reload for whatever PPD you carry.
If you leave your normal AO you should carry more than that.
To each his own, but I would rather have 'more' than I need not 'less' than I need!!!

Last edited by JimRau; 05-21-2013 at 10:14 PM.
People Like This 
Old 05-21-2013, 11:36 PM   #56

Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

So you draw the line at requiring lots of firepower and extra parts and ammo. Backup gun. Ammo and longuns in the car.

I think having a reliable handgun is a positive but expect never to have to use it. No VC. No rogue cops. No SHTF. Not paranoid about survival and prevailing. My worst case scenario is actually just a possible most-likely one. I don't have an Area of Operations -- I'm not IN an operation, just life. And any is almost certainly more than I'll ever need and definitely more than I ever hope to use. To each his own is right!
therewolf Likes This 
Old 05-22-2013, 01:22 AM   #57

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 87

98% of people will never be subject to a violent crime.
80-90% or greater of all cases where a firearm is drawn, a round is never fired.
In most cases where rounds are fired, 4 or fewer shots are fired.

So you're pretty safe in carrying a revolver or pocket pistol or no backup mag. But it doesn't hurt you to be prepared.

These are the facts. Do with them what you will.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Last edited by tCan; 05-22-2013 at 05:31 AM.
JimRau Likes This 
Old 05-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #58

Liked 2611 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
So you draw the line at requiring lots of firepower and extra parts and ammo. Backup gun. Ammo and longuns in the car.

I think having a reliable handgun is a positive but expect never to have to use it. No VC. No rogue cops. No SHTF. Not paranoid about survival and prevailing. My worst case scenario is actually just a possible most-likely one. I don't have an Area of Operations -- I'm not IN an operation, just life. And any is almost certainly more than I'll ever need and definitely more than I ever hope to use. To each his own is right!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Y E S ! Thank You. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I'm not in the A-Team, this aint Beirut.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:18 PM   #59
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2283 Times on 1357 Posts
Likes Given: 1227

If you have to use lethal force the S has HTF! It is just a matter of how much S and how big a F it H's!

Old 05-22-2013, 11:49 PM   #60

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ive been ccwing for 4yrs now and i always woundered if i really needed a spair mag. I ccw a g17. Never been in any situation where i ever needed to draw. Every ones making a valid point. Makes me think. Guna have to do more diging.