Breaking in a firearm
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Breaking in a firearm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2013, 04:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Default Breaking in a firearm

I have learned a whole lot from all of you on here. I hear talk about breaking in a firearm but am curious, for both pistols and rifles, exactly what that entails. All pros/cons and tips/tricks are welcome. Thanks a bunch!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-29-2013, 05:27 AM   #2

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

This entails a proper cleaning of the bore to remove possible residues. Checking stock screws bedding scope mounts etc. Possible trigger adjustments scope adjustments for eye relive. Checking fired cases for signs of improper head space.
If you want purchase a jar of JB Non-embedding bore cleaner and follow the instruction for bore conditioning.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:31 AM   #3

I always try to give a good once-over and clean it, especially to learn the breakdown of the firearm. What about actually firing the gun, any special precautions?

Old 12-29-2013, 05:33 AM   #4

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Nothing more than the standard gun safety rules. Make sure you are wearing eye and hearing protection.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:22 AM   #5

Liked 2294 Times on 1347 Posts
Likes Given: 501

For most high quality modern pistols it shouldn't be necessary.

As someone else said. I do disassemble to remove packing grease and oil, which is often a bit thicker and "more sludgy" than regular gun oil. While doing that is a good opportunity to visually inspect for any obvious problems, loose screws etc. Lube according to the manual, and shoot. If the manual doesn't specify specific oiling points, I will usually put a drop on the slide rails or grooves, the barrel hood, locking block, and any other points that look like friction points. Some aluminum framed guns with steel slides will get some grease on the frame rails I stead of oil. Glocks used to come from the factory with a copper anti-seize grease on the frame rail tabs, (they still may. I haven't bought a new one in several years.). This was recommended to be left in place for the first hundred rounds.

I don't do barrel break ins other than cleaning and copper removal after every full box of ammo for the first hundred rounds, then just regular cleaning with copper removal every couple hundred rounds on non chromed bores.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:32 AM   #6

I appreciate all the feedback and from the sounds of it I think I've been alright. For awhile I thought there might have been something I was missing.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:01 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Clean; shoot; clean; shoot; repeat.

The number I've heard thrown around for number of rounds in a break-in period is around 250 for semi-auto handguns. I don't know if this is an arbitrary number or legit.

Always have clean socks.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:09 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2235 Times on 1562 Posts
Likes Given: 1159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie_6Shooter View Post
I appreciate all the feedback and from the sounds of it I think I've been alright. For awhile I thought there might have been something I was missing.
No, nothing is missed. Most rifles and pistols are gtg out of the box. For a few smaller pistols, such as the .380 Kahr and the Kimber Solo, a break in is specified. Competitive long range rifle shooters have their own routine, but I am not well familiar with it.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:40 AM   #9

Liked 380 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 31

If your going to also reload for the rifle you may as well use the running in time to find a load that works as well................2 for the price of 1.

All's I do with a new barrel/rifle is swab the barrel out before firing any shots at all to get rid of any grease/swarf and then get it printing on paper at 50 yds and then 100yds and then start load development.

Don't let the barrel get too hot and after sighting in and load development clean the barrel out and it's ready to start making paddock pizza.(condensed version)

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Old 12-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1216 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbear1 View Post
All's I do with a new barrel/rifle is swab the barrel out before firing any shots at all to get rid of any grease/swarf and then get it printing on paper at 50 yds and then 100yds and then start load development.
For 99.9% of new or new to you guns, the gun has to break in the shooter.