Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Break free powder blast?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 04:33 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 224 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 439

Default Break free powder blast?

So I took my trusty sigma .40 to the range the other day, got home and cleaned it with the can of break free I just bought the other day. ( this was the first time I have used break free). It cleaned very well. So the next day I go to pick up my cleaning mat ( its one of the ones gander mtn. gives you) and the rubber on the bottom of the mat was stuck to my table and looked to have been melted by the break free. So looking on the can it gives a warning to plastic. So after a few days of my gun being clean I take it and clean it again with remmington shotgun cleaner and hoppes number 9.

My question is do you think the break free could have done any harm to my sigma?

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-21-2011, 06:06 AM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I doubt it as you cleaned it off right away. It had time to soak into the mat and eat away at the material. What I found to work great on cleaning is aero-kroil penetrating oil. No nasty chemical reaction and dont smell too bad either.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:20 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks man, yeah the gun sat for about 3 days or so before I cleaned it but it looked ok. I know this question might have seemed dumb, but I never used break free before and seeing what it did to that mat kinda freaked me out! I think I will stick with hoppes 9 or try your suggestion. Thanks for the info and peace of mind.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 07-21-2011, 06:35 AM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Thats also a different base in the plastic mat then you have for the polymer frame. I think your good to go.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:41 AM   #5

Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Been using break free for twenty year never had a problem with it .

Old 07-21-2011, 06:04 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Cool beans I know the sigma isint much but it was my first pistol purchase so its kinda sentimental. Thanks again.

--George Washington

Old 07-21-2011, 06:07 PM   #7

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Hey, it was a free cleaning mat, what did ya expect?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

LOL! True cane very true, but I am cheap like that!

--George Washington

Old 09-27-2011, 06:32 PM   #9

Default Break Free Powder Blast

Just to give more information to others about this product. I have a Mossberg Model 835 12gauge which had a camo pattern paint job. Yes I said had, the Break Free product melted the paint clean off around the chamber all the way back to the stock.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:57 PM   #10

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmustard View Post
So I took my trusty sigma .40 to the range the other day, got home and cleaned it with the can of break free I just bought the other day. ( this was the first time I have used break free). It cleaned very well. So the next day I go to pick up my cleaning mat ( its one of the ones gander mtn. gives you) and the rubber on the bottom of the mat was stuck to my table and looked to have been melted by the break free. So looking on the can it gives a warning to plastic. So after a few days of my gun being clean I take it and clean it again with remmington shotgun cleaner and hoppes number 9.

My question is do you think the break free could have done any harm to my sigma?
Many gun cleaners (like gunscrubber) contain hot solvents like acetone or toluene, and so any competent gun maker uses plastic that is solvent resistant. Even Glock frames are supposedly OK with it. It will attack paint so you have to be careful also cover your sights and optics.