Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Break free powder blast? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/break-free-powder-blast-45574/)

colmustard 07-21-2011 05:33 AM

Break free powder blast?

So I took my trusty sigma .40 to the range the other day, got home and cleaned it with the can of break free I just bought the other day. ( this was the first time I have used break free). It cleaned very well. So the next day I go to pick up my cleaning mat ( its one of the ones gander mtn. gives you) and the rubber on the bottom of the mat was stuck to my table and looked to have been melted by the break free. So looking on the can it gives a warning to plastic. So after a few days of my gun being clean I take it and clean it again with remmington shotgun cleaner and hoppes number 9.

My question is do you think the break free could have done any harm to my sigma?

doctherock 07-21-2011 07:06 AM

I doubt it as you cleaned it off right away. It had time to soak into the mat and eat away at the material. What I found to work great on cleaning is aero-kroil penetrating oil. No nasty chemical reaction and dont smell too bad either.

colmustard 07-21-2011 07:20 AM

Thanks man, yeah the gun sat for about 3 days or so before I cleaned it but it looked ok. I know this question might have seemed dumb, but I never used break free before and seeing what it did to that mat kinda freaked me out! I think I will stick with hoppes 9 or try your suggestion. Thanks for the info and peace of mind. ;)

doctherock 07-21-2011 07:35 AM

Thats also a different base in the plastic mat then you have for the polymer frame. I think your good to go.

tiberius10721 07-21-2011 08:41 AM

Been using break free for twenty year never had a problem with it .

colmustard 07-21-2011 07:04 PM

Cool beans :) I know the sigma isint much but it was my first pistol purchase so its kinda sentimental. Thanks again.

canebrake 07-21-2011 07:07 PM

Hey, it was a free cleaning mat, what did ya expect? :p

colmustard 07-21-2011 09:19 PM

LOL! True cane very true, but I am cheap like that! :D

jlwlson1 09-27-2011 07:32 PM

Break Free Powder Blast

Just to give more information to others about this product. I have a Mossberg Model 835 12gauge which had a camo pattern paint job. Yes I said had, the Break Free product melted the paint clean off around the chamber all the way back to the stock.

bountyhunter 09-27-2011 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colmustard (Post 546875)
So I took my trusty sigma .40 to the range the other day, got home and cleaned it with the can of break free I just bought the other day. ( this was the first time I have used break free). It cleaned very well. So the next day I go to pick up my cleaning mat ( its one of the ones gander mtn. gives you) and the rubber on the bottom of the mat was stuck to my table and looked to have been melted by the break free. So looking on the can it gives a warning to plastic. So after a few days of my gun being clean I take it and clean it again with remmington shotgun cleaner and hoppes number 9.

My question is do you think the break free could have done any harm to my sigma?

Many gun cleaners (like gunscrubber) contain hot solvents like acetone or toluene, and so any competent gun maker uses plastic that is solvent resistant. Even Glock frames are supposedly OK with it. It will attack paint so you have to be careful also cover your sights and optics.